Unlocking X2 555

I'm looking at rebuilding my system as economically as possible. Do the Phenom II X2 555's still unlock cores at all reliably? And if so, does it require any special hardware? I'm specifically looking at the ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboard. Thanks.

It's really luck of the draw on unlocking cores.

Some unlock to quads or tri's.
Be sure to stress test each core to make sure they are all good.

I unlocked my X3 720 on a Gigabyte (AM2) and now this Asus (AM3)
The Asus was easier, I just basically told it to unlock the core, with the Gigabyte it just had the ACC feature I had to enable and tweak a bit manually.

As for the board, Asrock's website says it has a core unlocking feature.

Ok, the ASRock site does make it clear the board has the ability. Does anyone know if the rate of success in unlocking these cores has changed?

I bought one from Amazon around Christmas. No dice on the unlock but I have a solid X2 that I can OC the piss out of.

I bought mine from an e-tailer in Canada about two weeks ago. It unlocked to a quad and oc'd to 4.0.

Awesome. Thanks guys! I'm still running a socket 939 x2 3800 (oc'ed to 2.7 GHz), so I'm pretty eager to upgrade.

just made a similar jump at the end of last year from s939 dual core opty 175 w 4gb ram , to sig rig, the performance improvement was huge, even as an x2 it doubled my benchmark scores using the same graphics card migrated from the 939 rig, even before i unlocked it to a quad and OC'd to 3.8ghz

unlocking can be hit and miss the 555's seem to be a sweet spot for it, be sure to checkout the core unlocking thread if you have any problems

Don't bother. It is too risky and I just tried it with mine in an MSI gd-65 890FX, Biostar board with core unlocker, and now in my Asus Crosshair Formula IV. Its a no go on any extra cores. I feel majorly let down, but there was no guarantee. Just pay the extra for the Athlon 4 core or Phenom II 4x. :( I did manage to use the EVO software to get to a stable overclock of 4.2Ghz. Thats at least some good.;)

you should get the Asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3..
the board is great with lots of useful features

Mine would unlock to all 4 but it would crash as soon as Windows started. I disabled the 4th and ran on 3 and have been screaming along at 4 GHz since summer.

But if you want a 4 core, I STRONGLY advise you to buy a quad core proc. My last Athlon II X3 wouldnt unlock and my trusty 555 only unlocks to a 3 core so Im 0 for 2. But I grabbed the 555 cause I only use my rig for gaming and internet so a 4 GHz dual core for $80 was too hard to pass up. The 3rd core was a bonus in my case.

Mine would unlock to all 4 but it would crash as soon as Windows started. I disabled the 4th and ran on 3 and have been screaming along at 4 GHz since summer.

But if you want a 4 core, I STRONGLY advise you to buy a quad core proc. My last Athlon II X3 wouldnt unlock and my trusty 555 only unlocks to a 3 core so Im 0 for 2. But I grabbed the 555 cause I only use my rig for gaming and internet so a 4 GHz dual core for $80 was too hard to pass up. The 3rd core was a bonus in my case.

maybe you need to set the ACC +/- manually for each core...

maybe you need to set the ACC +/- manually for each core...

You know thats a good idea. I never tried it. I always left it on AUTO. Think Ill do that now.

**EDIT**

Well no luck. Looks like Im stuck with a 3 core. Tried every combination of ACC settings possible. Even as far as -10% on 3 and +12% on the 4th but never would even boot into Windows.

Thats cool. 3 cores at 4 GHz aint too shabby. Itll hold me til Bulldozer drops.

Last edited:
Well, even if I don't get to unlock any cores, it'll still be a pretty good performance jump. Cost was a major concern, so I figured I'd take a shot at it. I was really hoping to find an X3 720, but they seem to be sold out everywhere I looked.

I got my new hardware and unfortunately I've had zero luck unlocking. I cant even get back into the BIOS with the "UCC" enabled.

Just bought mine a week ago and samething. I think the latest batches are past unlocking. But I do have a 1055t on the way anywho.

That's exactly what I was worried about. Oh well, I honestly don't think I'd notice a huge performance difference anyway.

I wonder if upping the cpu voltage by say 0.05v - 0.10v might help? Thoughts.... Also you did set the acc to hybrid then per core or all core?

I tried upping the cpu voltage as much as 0.5V. As far as I can tell, setting UCC to "Enabled" is supposed to unlock the cores. Doing this keeps me from even getting back to the BIOS screen though.

I purchased 2x 555's. One was on a M4A88T-EVO and another on a M4A88TD-M. Both of them unlocked to 4 cores. They both hit 4ghz with Cooler Master TX3. After about 4 hours of prime the EVO was 50c and my TD-M was 48c. Good luck, everything worked out great for me.

If it doesn't unlock quickly and easily it probably won't regardless. Just bump the voltage to 1.4v and crank that thing to 3.8GHz and you'll be fine with two cores until Dozer drops. 90% of games still can't use past two cores.

I purchased 2x 555's. One was on a M4A88T-EVO and another on a M4A88TD-M. Both of them unlocked to 4 cores. They both hit 4ghz with Cooler Master TX3. After about 4 hours of prime the EVO was 50c and my TD-M was 48c. Good luck, everything worked out great for me.

What voltage are you using to hit 4GHz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilhasti View Post
What voltage are you using to hit 4GHz?

1.4v on the EVO, 1.35 (stock) on the TD-M. Funny because the TD-M is a middle of the road board and it performs better then the EVO...imo

If it doesn't unlock quickly and easily it probably won't regardless. Just bump the voltage to 1.4v and crank that thing to 3.8GHz and you'll be fine with two cores until Dozer drops. 90% of games still can't use past two cores.

Is it normal for these to come out of the box at 1.43 V? That's what mine is running at without me touching it. But yeah I definitely plan to OC it later. At my current pace of upgrading, I'll be looking at whatever comes after dozer.

I promise this is the last time I bump this thread. I just want to report that although I'm disappointed about not begin able to unlock any cores, I am very satisfied with the performance of my now 3.8 GHz cpu. Even an 1.46V, it's running nice and cool at 38 C (full load) under an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro.

Back