Unlocked HTC Hero?

Arkangyl

Gawd
HTC Hero unlocked @ newegg

So I saw that the Egg has an unlocked version of the Hero, it also seems to be available other places in the US.

If I were to get one, could I just go to AT&T or T-Mobile (US GSM carriers) and get a plan & a SIM card, plug it in and be good to go?

Also, any idea if it would come with SenseUI or just bone-stock Android?

In general how does getting unlocked phones work?

Hero = SenseUI only :D It's really slick.

It would be best on AT+T assuming you have 3g coverage (Cause apparently the states has a very shitty cell network for GSM? <3 rogers) because of the frequencies. TMo would be edge ONLY.

Yeah, I'd go AT&T for sure, might be some issues with them now but Sprint isn't so hot in my area and T-Mobile looks to be crap for coverage outside major highway belts.

But if I got it, I could just plug in a SIM card after going to AT&T for the card & a plan?

Oh, and I heard some Hero's were getting 'google branded' and getting stock Android over SenseUI, although that may just be once they get nabbed by a carrier and re-branded

$650... Dat's a lotta cash to drop on an unlocked phone, even one as cool as the Hero.

I dropped 600 on my dream.

Being that it's an unlocked device it will NOT be google branded and will carry senseUI.

Yep, pick a plan, pay Month to month and go. :D I definitely recommend data as the freedom is amazing.

You will only get EDGE and not 3G with that in the US. If that doesn't bother you much, expansys has it for $25 less than newegg (and if you don't care about open box, they have one for $90 less).

Last edited:
ooo, snap. Just was reading about how the unlocked version for sale now doesn't do USA 3G :-\, for $650 I don't think that's something I can live with.

The fact that it would just be month to month, no 2 year contract bs, sounds quite nice though! very, very nice...

Hopefully when Sprint releases the CDMA version there will be a USA GSM version (unlocked) as well.

Back