Unlocked 6950 2GB Help.

JarJarBinks

Limp Gawd
Is there anything I need to do to get the most out of my recently purchased unlocked 6950
(drivers/tweaks/etc)? So far using it I don't think i've gained anything over the 5870 I
replaced, other then a extra GB of vram. However, I don't feel like i've gained anything.
With the same settings I had on the 5870 that was playable in BF3 in 1080p I have
had to drop resolution with this card for it too be as playable.

How do I check too see if just the shaders are unlocked or if a 6970 BIOS has been
flashed too it?

rQOpv.png

Looks like a 6970 to me in all but sticker on the PCB. Here's my 6970 for reference:

eqz.png

Well any idea's on why I feel like its performing below my 5870? I wasn't expecting a huge jump but
I was expecting improvement especially in BF3 with 2GB vram over 1GB in 1080p.

Well any idea's on why I feel like its performing below my 5870? I wasn't expecting a huge jump but
I was expecting improvement especially in BF3 with 2GB vram over 1GB in 1080p.

Was your 5870 OC'd? Also, what's your GPU utilization on the new card while playing BF3?

What's the temperature on that puppy ? If the ddr5 is overheating might be throttling back...

IF not u might just need a bit more bandwith ...your cores 70 mhz lower and ddr 125 mhz lower
than a real 6970 ... oc and see if that helps.

When all else fails try an earlier catalyst version. Use fraps before and bench bf3 and compare the two diff cats so u can see by number if theres a difference.

GL

I haven't done an overclock too either card before this post.

I just now tried an overclock with the 6950 I moved all the sliders over as far as they
went and just played serious sam 3 bfe for a while and no crash though performance
didn't seem to increase from last night when I last played ss3. Only getting to 65C
with fan on 55%.

I have tried 11.2, 11.8 and 12.2. None seem too make a noticable different.

I will play BF3 with the overclock asap and see if it made a different.

I will report back with GPU usage in BF3 shortly.

can you compare frame rates at similar areas on both cards? fraps is a good tool for easy frame rate identification. What are your BF3 settings?

No I have to go on memory because I no longer have the 5870.

The settings are exactly the same as on the 5870 for BF3 except
on the 5870 I played in 1920x1080 and it felt smooth enough.
With the 6950 2GB I have to play in 1600x900 to enjoy the same
smoothness.

Sadly, that is with everything on LOW, 2x Filtering, no AA except
with the FXAA injector thing which is really nice cant speak highly
enough about it.

Your going to want to overclock that card. 810mhz is basically an underclocked 6970. That makes it barely faster than a 5870 at your resolution. The Cayman architecture seems to do better at higher resolutions 2560x1600 and beyond. You'll be lucky to notice a difference in a game with the way your card is currently clocked vs a 5870 at that resolution.

See if you can get your card stable at around 950mhz or so.

Run GPUZ and see if the card wakes up from idle (IE 500mhz), mine was giving me trouble before in the same way. You may have to pump in more voltage, or else the card can't 'wake up' to its full voltage.

yeah, you should be able to run pretty close to either high or ultra at around 40fps without AA on. I would download MSI afterburner and see what the temps, volts, and such are doing. Maybe it's not performing properly?

Check your GPU usage, sounds like its not being utilized properly. It might be your Phenom holding you back, especially in multiplayer.

I have Sapphire TRIXX installed, what are good settings?

Right now I have:

Core Clock: 840
Memory Clock: 1325
Voltage: 1100 (1.1v im guessing that means?)

Thanks for the help everyone the overclock did make the world of difference.

After settling on:

Voltage: 1.2v
Core: 950Mhz
Memory: 1350Mhz
(Did 1400 fine but i hear memory doesn't contribute much too fps so I'll keep
it low too keep heat down.)

Everything looks real nice now, fps is great and stable, everything is improved
running at 1920 x 1080.

Afterburner I tried but turned out too be JUNK, TRIXX produced the best/easiest results.

Especially after I uninstalled CCC.

As far as I am concerned my problem is solved, if anyone has anything
else to contribute or mention about my overclock/etc go ahead.

Back