Unknown Spyware Toolbar

YoUnAn

Gawd
So I came back to my main pc today and found this crazy spyware toolbar on the side of it. The problem is that I can not get rid of it. I have used adaware, spybot S&D, and Microsoft antispyware with up to date files and they are not getting rid of it. Also I have looked in my processes and nothing is out of the ordinary so I can not even find the name of this damn thing to google it. Does anyone know the name of it???

This is what I get for letting my sister use my pc for a few days.

bizzare...sorry i have nothign to offer, just hopin u find something, and keepin myself posted for some crap like this...

not that i know anything about hijack this but maybe post a hijack this log im sure othets here could help u with it....

Are ad-aware and the like detecting any spyware at all or not even seeing it? Have you tried using something like a trial of sunbelt counterspy or webroot spysweeper?

Also, I assume it does not appear in add/remove programs?

Lastly, I would give your processes another check and just start closing them anyway to see if it goes away at any point.

I have to say that it at least has pretty graphics . :p :rolleyes:

Try running msconfig and see what comes up in the startup tab, look for suspisious file name (Including random letters) then delete the files and remove the startup entries from the registry. At least that's how I cleaned the Messenger Plus toolbar.

I w

OK I lost my train of thought

i also suggest a hijack this! log

helped me with my spyware toolbar program i found installed when i accessed my guest account on XP after some family left.

after fixing it,i got rid of the guest account and pass-protected my account.

I saw that one awhile ago, on my cousins computer. Im trying to remember how I got rid of it though. Did you try looking for it on the IE programs list for it? If not go to mamge add ons and, disable it. That could be the easy way. But it still doesnt get rid of it.

Well I have tried all that was suggested and nothing seems to be working. I think I might just have to format to get rid of it. Plus I am due for a reinstall seeing as how it has been about 7 months. But I would still like if we could figure it out so if any of us encounter it we will know what to do.

YoUnAn said:
Well I have tried all that was suggested and nothing seems to be working. I think I might just have to format to get rid of it. Plus I am due for a reinstall seeing as how it has been about 7 months. But I would still like if we could figure it out so if any of us encounter it we will know what to do.

You even ran HiJackThis?

YoUnAn said:
Well I have tried all that was suggested and nothing seems to be working.

?????

your looking for something that will automatically "fix" it?

neither HijackThis or RootkitRevealer "fix" things
they provide information, which I don't see posted ;)

To automatically fix a wide range of spyware is hit or miss after an infection, since it may either prevent the install (if its clumsy) or just tell the install to look the other way
in the paidware category Webroot and PestPatrol would be worth considering, but Id suggest actually posting the HighjackThis and Rootrevealer logs first

what Id really recommend is Processguard to disrupt the infection and account for everything that is trying to run, but it again isn't "automatic", there is however a freeware version and a way to use it to "hunt" and disrupt malware so you can then root it out

Thats the best adware I've seen yet.

You don't need to 'reformat'. Thats never necessary.

The above post explains quite nicely what you should do.

Just as IceCzar said...nothing will fix this for you. A little more legwork needs to be done on your part. You DEFINITELY don't need a reformat. You may have more crap on your PC than is worth troubleshooting, but any one specific piece of malware can be addressed.

Look in the sticky thread at the top of this subforum.

It seems as though you've already DLed HJT. Run HiJackThis again (with logfile output) and click on the other IAmNotAGeek link in that post. It allows you to paste the contents of your HJT log file, and it will parse that log and recommend actions you should take against those running processes.

If you're still unsure, post the content of your logfile in here, and one of us will tell you what to do.

Back