I hope someone can help me with this problem, it's pretty maddening:
Motherboard: Abit AN52 (Socket AM2)
CPU: AMD X2 3800 (stock)
RAM: 1GB GSkill DD2 (single stick)
Video: ATI X1950Pro (stock)
PSU: Rosewill 500W RD500-2SB
HDD: WD Green 500GB
WinXP SP3
We were given this computer a few months ago by some friends, all I added was the HDD, fresh install of everything. It's been running fine for months. A little while ago I was playing Half Life 2, suddenly I got a quick blue screen and then the system turned off. On power up it does not POST, there is no signal to the display, only a infinite loop of beep*pause*beep*pause*beep*... It's a Phoenix BIOS, and that POST code is not on any list I've seen. Since it's only a single beep length I'm not sure if it's a "short" or "long" beep. (EDIT: Likely a long beep). The power supply, motherboard, fans, video card, fans, LEDs etc. all appear to power up, but no display.
I've re-seated the video card and RAM and tried the other DIMM slots as well as unplugging the molex cables to the CD drives. I get the same infinite beep if I remove the video card, if I remove the RAM, and if I remove both. I've also reset the CMOS and reset the CMOS battery. I'm away from home and I don't have any thermal compound on me, so I can't re-seat the CPU.
I have to think that either the video card overheated (I cleaned a lot of dust out of it after the system crashed the first time) or it's a RAM issue. There weren't any visual artifacts before the crash. Anyone have any ideas?
Motherboard: Abit AN52 (Socket AM2)
CPU: AMD X2 3800 (stock)
RAM: 1GB GSkill DD2 (single stick)
Video: ATI X1950Pro (stock)
PSU: Rosewill 500W RD500-2SB
HDD: WD Green 500GB
WinXP SP3
We were given this computer a few months ago by some friends, all I added was the HDD, fresh install of everything. It's been running fine for months. A little while ago I was playing Half Life 2, suddenly I got a quick blue screen and then the system turned off. On power up it does not POST, there is no signal to the display, only a infinite loop of beep*pause*beep*pause*beep*... It's a Phoenix BIOS, and that POST code is not on any list I've seen. Since it's only a single beep length I'm not sure if it's a "short" or "long" beep. (EDIT: Likely a long beep). The power supply, motherboard, fans, video card, fans, LEDs etc. all appear to power up, but no display.
I've re-seated the video card and RAM and tried the other DIMM slots as well as unplugging the molex cables to the CD drives. I get the same infinite beep if I remove the video card, if I remove the RAM, and if I remove both. I've also reset the CMOS and reset the CMOS battery. I'm away from home and I don't have any thermal compound on me, so I can't re-seat the CPU.
I have to think that either the video card overheated (I cleaned a lot of dust out of it after the system crashed the first time) or it's a RAM issue. There weren't any visual artifacts before the crash. Anyone have any ideas?