University Network Problem

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
The university (St. Cloud State) I go to has been having some problems with its network. I know its not the ISP, because while the network was being funky, i was continously pinging the gateway. Over a time span of 15 min, there was a 23% packet loss.

When I say funky, i mean that I would get replys for about a min or 2, and then get no responses for about 30 seconds, and this would repeat, over and over again.

I want to bring this to their attention, considering what if I were doing research and needed the internet? A day before I started to do some of these simple tests, I heard that an entire dorm housings would get completely cut off. And considering they jack up our tution prices for a "Technology Fee", (all MN universitys have Tech Fees) I expect to get what I pay for. And for a school with only 18,000 students, the network is nothing compared to the University of Minnesota's network with 45,000 + students.

FYI, I work as a computer consulant at the university, and so I have more say then some random student coming in and bitching about the network.

What should I do? Thanks!

The Twin Cities network is pretty sweet thats for sure.

anyways call NTS and bitch at them.

I'd get your ISP to do a few line checks and such. And then if it still doesn't work, get them to send out one of their lackys to have a look at your connection hardware. It could be dust getting into the connections or a kink in the fiber going to different buildings. Really it could be a lot of things.

today i talked to one of the upper IT guys, apparently, both a switch and a authentication server were on the fritz. Apparently they have their shit straight so I guess i'm happy now.

Back