Universal Memory Device Touted as DRAM/SSD Replacement

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by sknight, Jun 26, 2019.

1. sknight

sknight [H]Lite

Scientists working at Lancaster University in the UK have secured a US patent for a new electronic memory device which "could solve the digital technology energy crisis," reports Science Daily. The 'Universal Memory' device is said to combine the advantages of both DRAM and flash memory with none of the drawbacks that usually come with such compromise. Furthermore, if the new memory format were to be adopted by data centres it could reduce power consumption by a fifth, it is claimed.

Click https://hexus.net/tech/news/ram/131993-universal-memory-device-touted-dramssd-replacement/ for the full article. Be prepared, not a ton of depth yet, but an interesting concept.

Silver

DejaWiz and Templar_X like this.
  2. socK

socK 2[H]4U

"the contradictory requirements of non-volatility and low-voltage switching, are achieved by exploiting the quantum-mechanical properties of an asymmetric triple resonant-tunnelling barrier."

well said

SJetski71, AceGoober, Meeho and 11 others like this.
  3. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

There are many simple solutions to complex industrial needs. Hell, my farts contain enough energy to recharge my cell phone several times a day. This power source is plentiful, readily available, and spontaneously abundant, although it is not non-volatile.

However, I am not allowing any quantum-mechanical exploitation of my symmetric double resonant-tunneling barrier.

P.S. Where does the term 'intestinal fortitude' come from, and why are we serious when we say it?

DrDoU, AceGoober, drescherjm and 3 others like this.
  4. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

Sounds better if you read it out in LeVar Burton's voice.

5. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

Intel Optane was recently released to the market and has the same features:

DDR form factor - socket compatible. (Support already built into windows/linux/ESXi for Optane memory)
    non-volatile, retains the data when powered off
    access times of 300ns. typical ddr access times are about 50ns, ssd's ~100ns, hardrives ~ 10,000,000ns
    very dense. comes in 128Gb sticks and 512Gb sticks
    can double as HDD storage, and be re-partitioned back and forth as both System RAM <-> HDD. This was a touted feature in a talk I attended at VMworld.

...probably super expensive, at least at those huge sizes.

Comes as m.2 form factor as well, under $100 but the biggest is 32Gb? Appears to be meant to be used as a smart-boost or whatever windows tries to do with thumbdrives to bump performance... a cache device. Looks like for that purpose it works well.

6. honegod

honegod [H]ardness Supreme

A use for pcie4 ?

7. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

AceGoober and drescherjm like this.
  8. lostinseganet

lostinseganet [H]ard|Gawd

If your 'intestinal fortitude' fails your intestines rupture or spontaneously combust (Bust into flames)... >_>

9. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

You just have to shunt power from the Heisenburg compensators back through the EPS manifold, and hope you don't burn out too many conduits in the process.

AceGoober and GoodBoy like this.
  10. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Hmm. This makes me think about what happened to the competitors for Xpoint. There were a few different technologies that were discussed over the last 5+ years that did not seem to become products yet.

11. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Sure, just like the HP's Memristor was supposed to revolutionize storage. It's all just a bunch of companies coming up with half baked hypothetical ideas so they can patent it and then wait for someone else to actually do the work. Storage will be revolutionized when someone can get rich off the licensing, otherwise we just maintain cruising altitude.

12. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

Damn right

?

AceGoober likes this.
  13. honegod

honegod [H]ardness Supreme

I came up for air right before the description of how the captive hole is nondestrucitvly 'read'.

Working in hardware, impressive!