Unity Engine Now Supports Vulkan API, Promises 60% Performance Improvement

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Vulkan support comes to Unity with the release of the 5.6 beta. Some recent games running on the engine include ReCore, Super Mario Run, and Inside.

According to Unity, developers can expect a rendering performance improvement out-of-the box up to 60% using Unity, and that is without having to deal with any specifics of the Vulkan API. Unity 5.6 beta also includes a lot of improvements for overall graphics, including the Metal Compute, Particle System and GPU Instancing. Unity plans to add some really cool new features in the next beta version of Unity 5. One of them is the new Progressive Lightmapper for baked lightmaps providing fast iterations and predictable ETA. Furthermore, Unity will add Light modes.

would this ever mean anything for Mario Run though? i mean what hardware would you play the game on that supports it?

yet to see Vulkan or dx12 improve anything

DX12 has so far proven to be little more than marketing lockin gimmick trying to force Windows 10 adoption, but Vulkan actually improved DOOM.

And best of all Vulkan works on not *just* Windows 10 like DX12, but also Windows 7 and 8.x, in addition to Linux and Android 7+.

Bout time more engine developers started seeing the Vulkan light.

Last edited:
would this ever mean anything for Mario Run though? i mean what hardware would you play the game on that supports it?

It will come to android at some point according to Nintendo.

DX12 has so far proven to be little more than marketing lockin gimmick trying to force Windows 10 adoption, but Vulkan actually improved DOOM.
Um I didn't see any improvement in doom, it went the other way on my machine and saw a good 30fps Loss.

yet to see Vulkan or dx12 improve anything
Pretty much what should be expected. Close to metal just means the room for optimization was shifted more away from drivers and vendors and more to developers to spend the development time, which they wont and dont. Given most games are made from pre-made engines most developers aren't interested much in optimization they just care about getting a working game running that looks somewhat like they wanted. Consoles get that optimization because over time developers collect the shortcuts and apply them to the products over time, games get better because better understanding on how to code for the hardware is available, that isn't quite true for pcs. Basically the same reason we'll probably never see a great implementation of EMA.

Then there's a problem on your end.

Vulkan, across the board, is a big improvement over OpenGL in this game.

OpenGL though has never really been efficient. I guess the big litmus test will be to see how it compares against D3D 11/12.

Last edited:
Best way I can describe Doom Vulkan, is that it's like upgrading a three to five year old, once high end gpu to a new one. Absolutey committed to support developers who use Vulkan. Saves me hassle and $ of upgrading until I feel market is ready.

Vulkan for doom didn't do much for me, I cap a 128fps and when I push the game 5kx2k it got another 1 or 2 fps. (30 ish fps)

I think Vulkan and crossfire don't always scale well.

On DX12 I 've read DX12 with multi GPU is suppose to be good as crossfire, yet most of the games I play aren't DX12.

Back