Unique LCD Mount

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I need help finding a way to mount an LCD. It's a 17" and it has standard VESA mounting. I have it sitting around and thought I could use it on my HTPC for when I'm just listening to music so I don't have to have the T.V. on.

Now, I need to find a way I can mount it where it can be out of the way when I'm not using it. I want to mount it to the media tower that the HTPC and everything sits on. Take a look at the picture below and tell me if you have any ideas. I would love something that would slide in above the 360 and could slide out and tilt so I could see it from my couch. That would be ideal, but I don't know of anything like that.

So, any ideas?

Rig%201.jpg

How about a rackmount drawer that slides out and the display folds up?
Someone with network experience will know what I mean.

Or maybe a display mount that mounts to the pole? It won't be hidden though.

Rackmount might be difficult as they are pretty heavy and that stand doesn't look too sturdy compared to a rack. You might be better off using an articulating arm so it folds back to one side or another when you aren't using using. As a bonus, the articulating arm would allow you to change the angle and height of the monitor, unlike the rackmount which is pretty much a fixed solution.

Swap the xbox out alongside the nintendo, put the lcd in it's place.

That spot looks like it can hold at least a 26" 1080P minus the TV stand, it would look pretty nice too :)

Also: is there enough room to bolt your monitor stand upside down? And would an upsidedown monitor swing the way you need it to?

How about a rackmount drawer that slides out and the display folds up?
Someone with network experience will know what I mean.

Or maybe a display mount that mounts to the pole? It won't be hidden though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. As rtangwai notices below, this thing isn't incredibly sturdy. After all, it was only $80 at Wal-Mart. The wood is typical cheap particle board. It won't hold too much weight.

However, you're thinking along the lines of what I'm looking for. I just would need something more in the realm of a keyboard drawer that's more for an LCD and allows tilt.

Rackmount might be difficult as they are pretty heavy and that stand doesn't look too sturdy compared to a rack. You might be better off using an articulating arm so it folds back to one side or another when you aren't using using. As a bonus, the articulating arm would allow you to change the angle and height of the monitor, unlike the rackmount which is pretty much a fixed solution.

I've thought about an articulating arm. If there's nothing that will work like I described above, that's probably my only choice. My only problem is it would have to mount to one of the front poles and it would be pretty unsightly, at least how I'm imagining it.

Than again, I could mount one on the top at the back. I guess it would be fine being above the 360 when extended. The only concern would be that it could support the weight. The LCD itself is light, but I know most of those arms are pretty substantial.

What do you think of that?

Swap the xbox out alongside the nintendo, put the lcd in it's place.

That spot looks like it can hold at least a 26" 1080P minus the TV stand, it would look pretty nice too :)

Also: is there enough room to bolt your monitor stand upside down? And would an upsidedown monitor swing the way you need it to?

The problem with moving the 360 is that there is now a PS3 on top of it and a Wii next to the NES. Plus, I feel like it would be wasting space blocking that off with an LCD. Especially since I'm running pretty tight on real estate for components right now. If only I had more stuff I could hide behind that doesn't need to be accessed besides the switch. Also, that picture is pretty deceptive. I would say a 22" would be the biggest that would fit in there. More likely a 19".

Now, what do you mean bolting the stand upside down? I guess I'm having trouble picturing that. Do you mean mounting an arm on the underside of the top?

A lot depends on the weight of your components - if they aren't heavy enough to compensate for an articulating arm then it will tip over. Maybe you need to think outside the box - get a projector and mount it behind you so you can shine it on the wall above the stand.

Oh, I'm not worried about that. The stand won't budge. I'm more worried about the particle board being able to hold it without breaking.

Back