Unintentional Processor Deal of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
How would you like to buy an Intel Core i5 processor and find out there is a Core i7 2700K in the box? At first we thought it was simply a matter of the wrong sticker on the box but, we confirmed with the owner of this processor that it did indeed contain an i7 2700K. Thanks to Josh M. for the photo.

Lucky! He needs to truck on over to the nearest gas station and buy a lottery ticket.

That's nice, Intel didn't really lose any money as I'm sure the 2700k only costs like $1 more to manufacturer over an i5 2500k.

That is freaking awesome!!

Somebody used a crafting potion for that proc :p

That's nice, Intel didn't really lose any money as I'm sure the 2700k only costs like $1 more to manufacturer over an i5 2500k.

True, but it would have cost just as much extra to test it out/fix bugs in it.

though still he's one lucky SOB.

Lucky! lol I just bought an i5 2500k and I got an I5 2500k! haha :p

True, but it would have cost just as much extra to test it out/fix bugs in it.

I doubt it. Since they have to test every processor they make in order to bin them anyway, it's probably slightly more expensive to have to cut those 2600K's and 2700K's down to non-K i7's or any i5, i3, Pentium, or Celeron SKU's. That is, if the fabs still do this kind of thing...

S[H]ady;1038362896 said:
That is freaking awesome!!

Somebody used a crafting potion for that proc :p

He was just a master alchemist and it proced.

Good luck getting any warranty service tho, I bet the receipt and barcode on the back shows a i5 processor.

I doubt it. Since they have to test every processor they make in order to bin them anyway, it's probably slightly more expensive to have to cut those 2600K's and 2700K's down to non-K i7's or any i5, i3, Pentium, or Celeron SKU's. That is, if the fabs still do this kind of thing...

Exactly, just like how alcohol free beer cost more than regular beer, the beer is brewed then the alcohol is removed, they cant make alcohol free beer without having alcohol in there in the first place.
That extra process makes it more expensive.

There's someone who bought a i7 2700k who is very upset right now. I wonder if they believe him?

the right thing to do would be to return the processor and ask for the one you morally and ethically paid for because this was unintentional

Actualy im pretty sure they cost the same to make. Its probably the same CPU with features disabled to make a 2500k.

Allows them to sell cpus that would otherwise be deffective if sold as 2700k (defective hyperthreading componenets or unable to reach higher mhz) I wouldnt be surprised in fact that disabling these features add to the cost.

Wow. Not bad. I just ordered an IBM Eserver x336 used from a vendor, and they sent my a Dual QUAD Xeon 5335 based HP DL380 G5 :O *happeh dancesness?*

Yes. I called them.

Yes. They said it was their mistake.

Yes. They said keep it.

I do have SOME morals.

Now... Time to play with VSphere...

Annoyance

Actualy im pretty sure they cost the same to make. Its probably the same CPU with features disabled to make a 2500k.

Allows them to sell cpus that would otherwise be deffective if sold as 2700k (defective hyperthreading componenets or unable to reach higher mhz) I wouldnt be surprised in fact that disabling these features add to the cost.

And that was how we got a lot of the old Celeron type chips.

I think some of you are thinking too much into it. It's simply a supply chain error.

A lucky mistake!

I ordered a subwoofer off of ebay, and was puzzled why the box was so big. Opened it up, and got 2 subwoofers. No way I was going to ship that one back on their mistake. Sold it and basically paid nothing for it.

I think some of you are thinking too much into it. It's simply a supply chain error.

A lucky mistake!

I ordered a subwoofer off of ebay, and was puzzled why the box was so big. Opened it up, and got 2 subwoofers. No way I was going to ship that one back on their mistake. Sold it and basically paid nothing for it.

I ordered a subwoofer off of ebay, and got an empty box !!!!! WTF !! :p

if I was trying to build a media center I'd be annoyed if I was given an i7 seeing how I'd need the GPU in either an i3 or i5 :-P

at least it wasn't a piece of cardboard with a picture of a processor on it..

I am going to be ordering me a new 2500K here next week so will be keepping my fingers crossed.

I married what I thought was a sweet women, but turns out she was just a b!tch. Does that count?

Chips are designed to meet certain specifications. When they come out of processing sometimes they do better or worse than spec. So they are then binned into categories based on their performance. This is what comes out as the different processors. They don't cut down processors to make cheaper versions, they just turn off certain features. So they are not really charging more or less for any processor, they are pricing them based on their performance. Whether or not its the same 'chip' is relative. One still has more features and performs better.

I married what I thought was a sweet women, but turns out she was just a b!tch. Does that count?

That depends. Did you find her on People at Walmart, and is she under warranty?

OMG my pic made front page. We just might throw it in a glass case and keep it at the office :)

Intel should have a promotion for their sealed and boxed processors. Every 1000th Box ofor their low end parts contains the Best-in-class processor for that socket.

Back