unintalling Windows Messenger?

daveisconfused

Limp Gawd
is there a way to do this?
it always starts up when i boot up my computer even when i turn it off in msconfig.

I think with the newer service packs it's now listed for uninstall under Add/Remove Programs->Windows Components.

However, there's an old method involving the "sysoc.inf" file. You should be able to Google that and find it if the above doesn't work.

Add/Remove Programs, then choose add/remove windows componets..the just uncheck IM, apply, okay...

Or you could just go into ms config and unselected it from the start up meun. Wont remove it but takes it off of start up.

I've been having a problem removing windows messenger as well. It doesn't run when I boot up because I have already gone into Add/Remove programs --> Add/Remove windows componenets and unchecked the box for windows messenger. So in theory, it should not even be installed anymore. Yet sometimes it loads up and I see the stupid little icon in my system tray.

I think it may actually have something to do with MS Outlook, because it only seems to appear when Outlook is running. If I try to exit windows messenger, I get a message saying "There are other applications currently using features provided by Windows Messenger. You must close these other applications.. yada yada yada". About half the time, if I close Outlook, then messenger will disappear. But sometimes, closing Outlook doesn't help. It seems to be sort of random.

Does anyone know if MS Outlook 2003 includes its own copy/installation of windows messenger? If so, does anyone know how to get rid of it? Again, I already went to add/remove windows componenets and uncheked it, so that is not the solution. It must be associated with something else. This is a minor annoyance but if anyone can help it would just be interesting to learn how to get rid of it.

The way I got rid of it was that I went to program files > messenger and renamed it to "messenger off". You can rename it anything you want.

Back