Uninstall Windows 7 off Slave Drive

CoRPS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello, guys. I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate to see if I liked it. I installed it on my 1TB slave drive, with Windows XP Pro on my much smaller main drive. I had to reformat XP Pro because I had a really bad trojan, and rather than having to deal with it, I decided to just format and install Windows 7. Now, I'd like to uninstall Windows 7, but when I try to just delete the folders, it says I don't have permission, and it won't allow me to boot up on that hard drive.
I've tried to change the permission rights and ownership... but it's all failed. I got access of most of the main files, however, it denies access on a few files.
Any help here?

Now, I'd like to uninstall Windows 7
Uhhh... i've never heard of "uninstalling" an operating system, and im not sure that even makes sense.
What are you trying to do exactly? reinstall windows xp pro and keep the same programs and data or something?

Your post is cryptic!

So, you have reinstalled XP and have XP as your OS now?
If that is the case and cannot access some of the files from XP, see if this guide can help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

But, I doubt that is all you are trying to say since you also say "and it won't allow me to boot up on that hard drive".
What do you mean by "that" hard drive? Which hard drive?

It helps if you write a clear description of what you need and a clear description of the problem.

Okay, I apologize for the sparatic message.
Let me get basic, and don't confuse with what I'm doing with condescending...

HD1: Had XP. I wiped and installed W7.
HD2: Has W7 (I installed it to see if I liked it) and about 750+ gigs of data, and I want to get rid of W7 since it's redundant to have it on both drives.

When I try to delete the files for W7 on my Slave Drive, it says access denied. I'd like to keep the rest of the files I have on that drive, so I don't want to completely wipe it out. So, I was wondering if there's anyway to just delete the OS with out the files?

W7's not on a different partition, it just installed it on the same partition as the rest of my files... the installer didn't give me an option, it just did it for me.

Sounds like you want to use W7 on HD1 as your OS.

Boot to W7 on HD1 and open the disk manager.
Ideally, post an image (picture) of it so that we can see it.
If you cannot post the image, describe all the details. Which partition shows "Active"?
Which shows "System"? Which shows "Boot"?
A picture would answer all of these questions with no possibility of mistake and confusion.

In case you are wondering where I am going with this, there is a possibility your system partition is on your HD2. This will let us see that.
Then, we can fix it.

As far as I know there is no way to uninstall just the win7 portion of HDD2. Unless of course you created a partition for it which it sounds like you didn't. I think the only way to get rid of all the Win7 files on HDD2 is to reformat the drive...which would then erase all your data. This is if you aren't able to just delete them while logged into Win7 from HDD1 and using HDD2 as a slave. I think you are SOL unless you reformat it. I don't know why it won't let you just delete the folders though that is strange.

Back