Unifi software dilema

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Now that I got proper vlanning setup on my network I decided I want to run the controller software full time so I can use more of the management features. Unfortunatly the new version online is not compatible with my APs. (does not even detect them). But the version on the disc is not compatible with the latest Java. I *HATE* java for that. Backwards/forward compatibility is so horrid.

Is there something I can do to make it work?

The AP is now on a trunk port, with vlan 3 as native, and the VM is on vlan 3. This is how it should be right?

Edit: Managed to get it started by changing the string to use an older version of Java that happened to still be on the system. Still wont detect the AP though... I'll keep playing with it and researching any options.

Last edited:
SSH into the AP and set the inform URL manually. Put the AP on an "access" port and get it talking to the controller before dicking with VLANs. Also check the firewall on the controller. It needs TCP 8443, 8080, and 8000 open.

What OS are you using for the controller? All you should have to do if it's Linux is install the OS, add the repo, and install the controller. It'll install all the dependencies it needs.

Wait, do they have a controller software that runs on Linux? Currently running Windows 2000 on the VM. Using the same VM as my minecraft server. If it can Run in Linux then even better, I would rather do that.

I just discovered that you can SSH into those, I found a file with the URL you are talking about but there's also an auth key and other info that I'm guessing is specific to the old install of the software. Is there something I need to do to "Reset" it? Maybe it's not detecting it because it's still registered in the old installation?

WTF are you doing running Windows 2000... I personally use Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS for my controllers.

SSH and login with the username root and the default password is ubnt. Username may be admin. Can't remember at the top of my head. It may be whatever you set the controller passwored to as well. Type help and you'll see the syntax for the "set-inform" command. Use the VM IP instead of the DNS name.

You could also reset the AP to defaults within the CLi by using the command "syswrapper.sh restore-default" or by pressing the reset button on the back of the AP for ~ 10 seconds.

Errr my bad, it's 2003. I don't know why I said 2000. I'm getting "invalid command" when I type set-inform, but syswrapper seems to have worked.

Good to know it works in Linux though, I will make a dedicated Linux VM for the controller. Is this a 3rd party thing or do they actually have the Linux controller software themselves?

Errr my bad, it's 2003. I don't know why I said 2000. I'm getting "invalid command" when I type set-inform, but syswrapper seems to work, trying that now.

Use "help" or "?" to see the command. It may just be "set inform."

Errr my bad, it's 2003. I don't know why I said 2000. I'm getting "invalid command" when I type set-inform, but syswrapper seems to have worked.

Good to know it works in Linux though, I will make a dedicated Linux VM for the controller. Is this a 3rd party thing or do they actually have the Linux controller software themselves?

They have a package made by them just for Linux. You need to manually add the repo though if you are installing it via apt-get. (That's the better way to do it anyways than manually dling it and installing it.)

Last edited:
Got it to work! Added a guest wifi network too. For kicks I left it wide open, will be interesting to see if people connect to it. I got the new fibre internet so figured why not. Going to remove it later. It's on a vlan that is completely restricted. Fairly easy to setup now that I know why it was not working.

When I get more time I'll look at installing the Linux version though. That VM used to be used for my UO environment which was .net, now it runs a Minecraft server, which I believe has a LInux version too. If I can move that stuff off I can retire that VM alltogether.

Could just make another VM just for it unless you are low on RAM or disk space. That's the joys of VMs.

Yeah ram is at a premium as I can't put more than 8GB in this machine, but since I can use Linux (did not know this till now) I'll probably end up making a dedicated Linux VM for it, as I can get away with rather low ram for Linux.

What did you mean their latest version is not compatible with your APs?

All the unifi APs are compatible with the latest version. The controller will upgrade their software when they connect.

That's what I was reading from googling my issue. Though it turns out my issue was that the AP was registered with the software that was on another machine so the new machine was not picking it up, so it probably would have worked after all. Everything is good now though.

Back