Unifi 3.2.1

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Anyone here try the final release in their production environment?

I am wanting to roll it out here at work if it's working OK for everyone.

Thanks!

Having no issues with it here. Then again haven't had much issues with any of the beta releases.

I am using Unifi 3.2.1 in my home with no issues so far. Has only been up for like 5 days though.

Don't know yet. I upgraded based on advice from the support agent, but that didn't fix my issue. Users still have the internet randomly drop, but not the wifi connection. So everything looks like it's working, but the AP is not sending the packets to the router. It took over a week working with the tech to get approval for RMA, and it's been 2 weeks trying to get a response from the effing RMA department. I've had to request an RMA twice now, and even reach out to the RMA department and the support agent and I'm still waiting...

Pretty disappointing for a product/company that is so highly reviewed, and makes me look like a dipshit for recommending them as an 'upgrade' to our office infrastructure...

Never had the issue you mention. Actually... have never had ANY issues. We upgraded to UniFi 6 months ago here at work, running 9 AP's and couldn't be happier. Works far better than the piecemeal setup we had before.

I've been using the 3.x series since they where in alpha and never really had any problems aside from upgrading to the newest release wiping out the database. (turned out to be a bad symlink)

From my experience with UniFi, here is what I have found makes it work best:

Do NOT use mixed encryption modes. Pick either WPA with TKIP, or WPA2 with AES. This is particularly important with iOS devices. They seem to have trouble when mixed encryption modes are used.

Do NOT use automatic channels. Pick a channel on each AP and leave it. In my experience some Android devices seem to have problems tracking channel changes and will require a disconnect/reconnect if a AP changes channel suddenly.

The APs should be wired whenever possible. If using wireless uplinks with 2.4Ghz band hardware, the wireless uplink cuts available bandwidth to all clients on the wirelessly connected AP in half.

If not using wireless uplinks, you should disable the "Uplink connectivity monitor" in the controller settings. If enabled, and your internet connection drops out momentarily, this setting will cause your APs to drop all clients until connectivity comes back.

sometimes the upgrade process results in a buggy upgrade.

Reset to defaults and upgrade again (overwrite the firmware).

That usually fixes the odd behavior.

Would it be better to install the new software on a entirely different machine, shut down old machine and set them up as an entirely "new" system? That way if there are issues, I can shut down new machine and restart old one and be back to where I was before?? :confused:

Would it be better to install the new software on a entirely different machine, shut down old machine and set them up as an entirely "new" system? That way if there are issues, I can shut down new machine and restart old one and be back to where I was before?? :confused:

You'd have to re-adopt them each time you switch.

But wouldn't that be "safer"?? As in if something goes wrong with the install I can just re-adopt and go back to the way it was? :confused:

The APs would also need to be upgraded/downgraded.

I built a new 3.2.1 VM, recreated my settings and adopted all the APs. Went without issues. I also tested doing a straight upgrade and that worked flawlessly as well. I went with a new install/config because of an alert issue that was later resolved.

Ok... so just download the new 3.2.1 and install it... it will then ask me if I want to upgrade? Is that correct?

Ok... so just download the new 3.2.1 and install it... it will then ask me if I want to upgrade? Is that correct?

Are you using Windows or Linux? (It runs better on Linux)

Linux needs it removed if it's the beta and needs the "unifi-rapid" package installed. I believe it will autoremove the beta and install 3.2.1 if you just do a "apt-get update && apt-get install unifi-rapid".

Windows I think needs it uninstalled and the new one installed. I don't think you can install over top.

Either way make a full backup from the web interface and do the upgrade. ALWAYS do a full backup before any Unifi upgrade. It's saved me multiple times.

Also if you have custom portal pages, you will need to backup those as well.

Running on a Server 2008 box... no custom pages, and I already did a backup via web interface and copied entire unifi directory over to desktop as backup as well.

Just trigger shy is all! :D

For anyone who is wondering... I just ran the .exe I downloaded and it asked if I wanted to upgrade. I did so, and everything is working perfect.

3 things though...

#1 - Had to shut down the old program instance first... it was running. Program wouldn't upgrade until I did so, but didn't say that. Just threw an error.
#2 - Had to shut down java.exe in order for app to restart. Wouldn't do so otherwise.
#3 - Had to update all the AP's before my users would show up.

Back