Unhappy with 2001fp for gaming

Sysjack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2003
Messages
339
I've had a Dell 2001fp for a few days now, and I must say the picture quality is fantastic. When I got the color balance right for me it looked really nice. However, when I play games it drives me nuts. I have it hooked up with the DVI cable and I'm running a 6800GT at Ultra speeds and the 2001fp is at 1600x1200.

My first session of BF1942 gave me unbearable eye strain within the first 5-10 minutes. I have never had that with my old 17" CRT as long as the refresh was at 75Hz or above (always run at 85Hz at 1024x768). I had the same issue in UT2k4.

After a couple days of forcing myself to get used to that I've noticed a hesitation when I turn or look around in games that I never saw on my CRT. When I finish moving the mouse there is a very perceptible delay between the mouse stopping and the view stopping. There is also a jerkiness to movements and animations. On the CRT I have never seen this sort of behavior. I set up both monitors on clone to view them side by side. The 2001fp has much better color and sharper lines, but the delay is even more pronouced. Keep in mind this is with framerates above 60fps.

I have also seen a great deal of screen tearing on the 2001fp without vertical sync enabled. However, vertical sync makes control delay worse. Rapid movements and careful aiming in all my favorite games has become very difficult.

Now, obviously this monitor is widely recommended for gaming, but I have found it sorely lacking. Is there anything I could be missing? Some tweak that will solve these problems? Thanks.
 

Sysjack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2003
Messages
339
After alternating playing UT2004, BF1942, and WoW on my old CRT monitor and my 2001FP I can't see any reason to keep the 2001fp. If anyone has any tips on making it run quicker I'd like to know.
 

peacetilence

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
2,343
If you don't like than it get rid of it imho. I'm in the market for a new monitor as well and after sampling current LCDs, even the best of the best, I can't force myself to make the switch. They're just not up to the same caliber as CRT for image quality and gaming. For every good reason to own an LCD over a CRT there are about 10 bad reasons. It's just a trendy thing to own atm and companies like the big influx of money because LCDs are still in a phase where there will be upgrades to them every 6 months. I'd rather have a big bulky box and be satisfied with the image quality and have some assurance of what I'm getting ( no dead pixels, no backlighting problems, ghosting ect.) than take a risk on an LCD.
 

atlwriter

Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
531
If I could find a 23" or bigger widescreen CRT, I'd get one. I've played all the latest games on my 2001FP and have never noticed any of the problems you've encountered.
 

agentzero9

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 27, 2002
Messages
2,799
Sysjack said:
After alternating playing UT2004, BF1942, and WoW on my old CRT monitor and my 2001FP I can't see any reason to keep the 2001fp. If anyone has any tips on making it run quicker I'd like to know.

There are no "tips." LCDs are not for you at this time. Stick with CRTs.
 

MYST1K

Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
603
try turning on vsync? Gets rid of image tearing if that's what you mean by jerkiness.
 

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 19, 2003
Messages
4,927
i was suprosed to see a big difference with vsync turned on on my 12ms LCD.
 

Tygerwoody

Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
557
a problem could also be the shear size of the 2001fp. I recently changed from a 2001fp (20" LCD) to a 17" LCD. My eyes feel SOO much better. Anyone who has seen a 20" LCD knows these things are HUGE. They are roughly equivilent to having a 22" CRT monitor IMO. Try a smaller monitor.
 

segador

n00b
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
5
atlwriter said:
If I could find a 23" or bigger widescreen CRT, I'd get one. I've played all the latest games on my 2001FP and have never noticed any of the problems you've encountered.


Sony makes a 24 inch widescreen trinitron. You can pick them up on ebay constently for around 5-600 or a bit more from standard wholesalers. They kick ass but they also weigh about 120 pounds :)
 

Sysjack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2003
Messages
339
Tygerwoody said:
a problem could also be the shear size of the 2001fp. I recently changed from a 2001fp (20" LCD) to a 17" LCD. My eyes feel SOO much better. Anyone who has seen a 20" LCD knows these things are HUGE.

I have wondered if this is a contributing factor. I set it up as far away as I could on my desk but it still felt a bit close. However, the response times were the main issue. When aiming in a FPS on my CRT the reticle moves with the mouse. On the 2001fp it trails the mouse slightly. Vertical sync solves tearing but makes the trailing effect worse. I found myself getting stuck on walls a lot in UT2k4 where I had not on my CRT, and missing shots that I normally would not have had trouble with.
 

The Titan

Ownage brought to you by Dr Pepper
Joined
Oct 10, 2001
Messages
30,963
peacetilence said:
If you don't like than it get rid of it imho. I'm in the market for a new monitor as well and after sampling current LCDs, even the best of the best, I can't force myself to make the switch. They're just not up to the same caliber as CRT for image quality and gaming. For every good reason to own an LCD over a CRT there are about 10 bad reasons. It's just a trendy thing to own atm and companies like the big influx of money because LCDs are still in a phase where there will be upgrades to them every 6 months. I'd rather have a big bulky box and be satisfied with the image quality and have some assurance of what I'm getting ( no dead pixels, no backlighting problems, ghosting ect.) than take a risk on an LCD.
Amen to that. For games nothing beats a CRT, ever.
 

fowlrock

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
2,340
Sysjack...

I got a brand new 2001FP in yesterday, got it for 575 total....used it all last night, boxed it up this morning and sent it back to dell.

Its a beautiful monitor, but if you have the desk space...go to a larger CRT. I'm currently using an IBM 21" P202 monitor and have not had a better gaming experiance with any other monitor. I experianced the same thing with the games I tried that you explained (BF1942, CS:S, D3). I don't know if its because I'm so use to playing @ 100Hz...or if LCD's just aren't quick enough, but the only LCD I will own will be for LANs, and that's only for portability.

I suggest sending it back, my friend....find yourself a nice 21" CRT instead.

$.02
 

zan780

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 1, 2004
Messages
86
I had a Mits Diamond Pro 2070 Super Bright and I moved to a Dell 2001fp, primarily because I couldn't get one with satisfactory convergence/geometry, regardless of adjustments.

I feel the dell is vastly superior for test/sharpness/general windows use (which is 95% of my computer time) but the CRT was better for gaming. Nothing beats a great CRT in gaming. However, the dell is fine and I played through doom 3 and half-life 2 and never thought once thought about moving back to a CRT. Vsync is a must, triple buffering too.

The ultimate would be to poof a CRT into place for gaming and then poof my 2001FP back when I quit the game. Still working on that.
 
Top