• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Unfamiliar with Shuttle SFF PSUs

Xrave

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
7,880
Looking at building my first Shuttle machine, but I'm not too familiar with the PSU capabilities and heat issues that come with a Shuttle.

At the moment I'm looking at:

Seagate 500GB
LG HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo drive
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale

The mains questions come from the video card and Shuttle case.

I was looking at the Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 since it's passively cooled (what I prefer). I believe it'll fit since I'll only be using one of the PCI Express ports. If someone has a better suggestion on a passively cooled video card (looking for as much power as possible with a passive cooling solution), I'll gladly hear it!

The Shuttle case I was looking at is the SX38P2-Pro (450W) and my main concern is with ample enough cooling for what I'm looking at.
 
From what I know and experience, their PSU's are pretty good quality, they have to be to power all that equipment reliably. But you'll be paying premium dollar for them as well as the cases. For the price of that listed Shuttle, I can purchase my new CPU, Memory, motherboard and Vista HP for the same amount, so gonna pay for that special shuttle proprietary design.

It is gonna a run pretty warm in there, theres no getting around that, its a SFF case. Check out sfftech.com Shuttle forums to get a better idea, a vast majority of shuttle owners dwell their.
 
If it helps, what's in sig runs fine without any problems whatsoever. It does run somewhat hot, however.

edit: If you want to drop not-very-much performance, but save approx 250$, get the Newegg Open Box Shuttle SP35P2V2 when it pops back up. They go for $200.99. It's how I got mine. :)
 
My system is running fine with the included 400W PSU in the SP35P2 Pro...the SX38P2's PSU is more then enough for the hardware you have listed.
 
edit: If you want to drop not-very-much performance, but save approx 250$, get the Newegg Open Box Shuttle SP35P2V2 when it pops back up. They go for $200.99. It's how I got mine. :)

Thanks for the tip.
 
Back
Top