Unfamiliar Program ?

Got my GF a new Phenom II Triple-Core based ASUS Laptop (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220753) and I was going through my uninstall list, removing bloat-ware, and other software that is not needed....this is why I learned to build PC's why I was in high-school, So I never had to buy a Pre-Built PC, so I didn't have to deal with bullshit copies of windows with all the bloat-ware and other crap they put on there, kinda stuck buying pre-built laptops tho, i wish you could put together your own....why can't they just give you a normal copy of Windows ? I'm sure its a money thing....ANYWAYS, I came across a program I haven't heard of called "playready pc runtime amd64", so what exactly is it, and do I need it for anything important (we use the laptop for pretty much everything, gaming, web, movies, I even use it for recording my Band and Solo-Project sometimes)

And yes, I tried Googleing this program, but couldn't come up with anything except people who had issues with it. nothing explaining what it is and what it does.

EDIT - also, my mom just got a new Toshiba Satellite L675 Laptop, and I was going through doing the same thing with hers, and I came across two programs I wasn't sure about and couldn't find anything on google either, ones called "Toshiba Assist" which I'm assuming it has something to do with helping you figure out how to use the laptop and showing you the features and what not, and if thats the case, i want to leave it on so my mom can use it and stop asking me for help on every little thing lol, and then the second is called "Toshiba Quality Application", not sure what that could be.

Last edited:
Playready is Microsoft's digital rights management runtime, primarily used for Windows Media Center and Windows Media player. If you're going to be recording shows with a cablecard or satellite or you have a portable media device that's compatible with WMP12 and buy copy-protected music from some places other than iTunes or Amazon, then yeah leave it installed.

Since I own an older Toshiba laptop, the assist program centralizes all the other Toshiba related apps like Powersaver, Button Manager, and Hotkey controls, which I think depend on that program if you want to do some configuration. I usually leave that installed. Can't remember what the Quality app is for. Maybe some kind of customer support/feedback tool.

Last edited:
Back