• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Unexplainable high pitched whine

Brok3n

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
167
As the topic says, i'm getting this high pitched whine coming from my case. I have disconnected all fans one at a time to try and find the culprit and it has me stumped...this is why:

no whine at bios, no whine booting into windows HOWEVER as soon as windows is up, let the whining begin. Also, when accessing folders or simply moving the scroll wheel on my mouse to scroll webpages will silence it, only during the action tho, once the folder is loaded or I let off the wheel on the mouse it returns. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? I'm ready to throw the whole system out the window.

specs of system:

Soltek nforce3 250gb
Athlon 64 3400+
1gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
BFG 6800GT OC
120gb SATA Seagate barracuda
80gb Western Digital IDE
Antec 400watt Truepower
 
Something to do with the harddrive maybe? Sorta weird it stops when you access it though.
 
The whine is likely the torroids on your motherboard vibrating. When you are performing actions or stressing your computer, the torroids can vibrate and whine. Also, it could be electromagnetic inference with your onboard sound and wireless mouse or your speakers but that causes more of a low bass "scraping noise" than the whine which is probably the torroids.
 
I was getting the same thing as you, during the same times. I have a Chaintech mATX nForece2 board. It went away after I hit my case ( I know...not very smart-but that whine can get annoying), and it hasn't been back since.

I had to google toroids. I will have to take a look at mine to see if they move around or something. Is there anything one can do to stop them from moving?
 
put some kind of clear adhesive on thim (doesnt have to be clear....but thats what i would do)
 
Back
Top