Unexpected Shutdowns (Windows Error Code 41) - PSU Issue?

Epos7

Gawd
I've been experiencing some random shutdowns that happen maybe once or twice a month.

Windows Event Views shows code 41, but the event details contain no bug check codes. I think this points to a PSU issue, but I'm not sure how I can confirm.

I have not been losing power when this happens, though I have also never been using the computer when it happens. No issues outside of these random shutdowns that might point to PSU issues - everything runs fine under load.

1604009070347.png

1604009116760.png

1604009142695.png

I'm hoping someone here has experience with these events. It looks as though Skype threw an error at 1:48, the computer shut down, then restarted itself at 2:21. I'm not sure how Skype server could cause a shutdown, so I'm thinking it may be a red herring. I don't know why it would log the unexpected shutdown over half an hour later. I know Windows Update likes to hijack the OS from time to time, but it didn't install any updates today.

"Power State" BSODs can literally be anything, it's not a specific error.

I've seen bad drivers, bad RAM, old BIOS versions, misbehaving system devices and marginal power supplies cause it. I've also seen mangled Windows installs do the same, you know the type where 47 people had their way with the machine over the course of years and the whole OS is a clusterfuck.

I'd suggest trying to update your BIOS first, do a RAM check with Memtest86+ and try to update as many drivers as have updates available. If that doesn't solve it, try swapping the power supply. If it still is a problem after that, nuke the machine and reload WIndows.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
Back