Uneven Luminance NEC2490wuxi

Just purchased the monitor after reading very good reviews. I noticed that left handside of screen seemed brighter than R/H side (when i had a complete white or grey page up on screen. Hard to tell when you have an image up though). Took readings on my lightmeter and found that there was half stop difference between top right and bottom left. Called NEC and spoke to one of their service reps. We went through some steps and turned 'Color Comp' on to '5' then turned on auto luminence to '3'. This evened everything out. BUT THEN calibrated with my 'Eye One' (using Eye1 software) to my usual 6500K 120 lum and 2.2 and got a good calibration but it put the luminance out of wack again. NEC sent me a new monitor and it did precisely the same as my first.
Has anyone else experienced this? At the end of the day it's a fine, usable monitor and this problem isn't hindering my work as of yet but after spending $1100 i feel i should be getting as good a quality as the money i'm spending and worry that 2 or 3 years down the road this half stop difference in luminance might grow even greater.
FYI, I'm obviously adjusting the brightness & contrast when i go through the 'advanced' mode on the eye1 software. I'm not using the dvi cable (haven't gotten adapter yet) and just have anologue signal.
Thanks for any help!

I got mine y'day. I never noticed that kind of thing. The backlight is perfect even without colorcomp. Great monitor. BTW from where u purchased it?

B&H NYC. I can see it by eye with a full screen white/mid grey page. Meter readings confirm it. As i said you don't really notice it with image on screen and it only happens after calibration.

I thought B&H were out of the original 2490's. Did you get a 2490v2?

Edit:
I bought an original 2490 off Provantage, and I have a patch on the lower left third of my screen that measures 10~25cd/m2 darker than the rest of the screen. Not sure what to do about it either.

B&H NYC. I can see it by eye with a full screen white/mid grey page. Meter readings confirm it. As i said you don't really notice it with image on screen and it only happens after calibration.

If you purchased it from B&H. Nothing to worry just get it replaced. You can have a replacement from B&H for any reason.

First you must get a dvi cable cable. Monoprice sells low cost ones.

When i used the Eye1 software it killed my contrast ratio. You might get beter results doing a
manual calibration with ColorHCFR software. ColorHCFR is free and supports your Eye One. I'm not sure if i like Color Comp, as it also kills your contrast ratio. For example my 2690 gets 720:1 with Color Comp off and 490:1 on 5.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was on sale so must have been end of the line as now 2 weeks later on the B&H site i notice the 2490wuxi has been 'discontinued'. in regards to the dvi cable as i don't have the adapter yet is there a real noticeable difference in screen image quality between digital/analogue input?
Knowone - i've never heard of the colorhcfr software. i'll have to check it out. Are you now calibrating everytime with this? Turning on Color comp totally evened out the luminance though (until i then calibrated). I'm a photographer so image representation is important.

Back