• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Undulation" in playback...

Omnigamer

n00b
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
61
Hello all,

My current audio setup is a Creative Audigy 4 Pro card hooked up through a Logitech X-540 speaker system in Vista. My primary uses for it involve music listening and watching movies, although I do game occasionally.

A while back, I noticed that certain parts of audio would gain a sinusoidal power effect... the volume would raise and lower itself for (as best as I can tell) the low-mids only. It was inconsistent at first, but now it's a constant effect. In most cases it's only noticable when you're listening for it, but in some scenes with a constant audio output (such as rain scenes) it's definitely distracting.

Any clues as to what the problem is? Since I'm looking to upgrade my whole system anyway, it might be time to move on to a better sound card/speaker set. The PSU is also not the problem by the way... I've been able to observe this effect on 3 different PSUs since it started.

Let me know of any other tests I should try out, and also any recommendations for upgrading components. Thank you.
 
well, I'd probably look at the cheapass speakers before the soundcard (A4 Pro is basically an extension of A2ZS, nothing terrible there), got something else you can plug into the card and see if the issue goes away?

how about plugging the speakers into something else, see if it goes away there?
 
Ironically, since posting this I have not been able to reproduce the effect. Maybe it only starts to show up after extended use?

I have some decent headphones that I can try out after it starts happening again. I can also swap out the speakers to a different source, but that will also have to wait until it happens again.
 
Possibly an issue in the main amplifier (located in the sub on that system I believe), if it only comes after extended use, then it could be a component is starting to fail that gets noticeable with heat. If you have headphones, plug them into the soundcard , completely unplug the X-540, and listen for a day or two, see if the effect happens again.
 
Back
Top