• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Underwhelming RAID0 performance? Or was I expecting too much?

JoeUser

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
3,919
OK so I recieved dual 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 today and immediately set them up in a RAID0 configuration with 64kb using the Intel ICH10R chipset on my motherboard.

Installed Windows 7 x64 and ran HD Tune. Tests done with a 128KB block size at medium speed (half between fast and accurate) in settings.

Results:

Transfer Rate
Minimum - 78.4 MB/sec
Maximum - 157.9 MB/sec
Average - 127.1 MB/sec
Access Time - 14.9
Burst Rate - 124.8 MB/sec

Also ran HD Tach:

Average Read: 131 MB/sec
Burst Speed: 362.6 MB/sec

So...is this what I can expect from these drives in RAID0? I have a Seagate 1.5TB single drive that isn't but a few MB lower a second that my new drives in RAID.

Did I just have too high a hope or is something goofy here? I've seen benchmarks using the EXACT drives as me and they we're like 100 MB/sec faster across the board on everything.
 
Did I just have too high a hope or is something goofy here?

Remember that the 320GB drives were made with 2009 densities (320 GB / platter) so that certainly are not as fast drives using 2011 densities / platters (up to 1TB per platter).

I have a Seagate 1.5TB single drive that isn't but a few MB lower a second that my new drives in RAID.

That most likely has 3 500GB platters.
 
Last edited:
So...is this what I can expect from these drives in RAID0? I have a Seagate 1.5TB single drive that isn't but a few MB lower a second that my new drives in RAID.
From those particular drives, which are about 4 process jumps ago, with their layout that is about what you will achieve.
 
Back
Top