• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Undervolting my 7950?

Loser_guy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2008
Messages
328
Trying to heat my room and mine some Bitcoin while I'm not gaming... to get a little better temps I dropped the frequency and voltages to keep temps down then steadily increased to find a good compromise between heat and Mhash/s.

At 850mhz my card will stay at 1.000v and will set at 66C with fans at 66% which is plenty tolerable.. The second I click 851 voltage goes to 1.081 and temps will hover around 76-77 with the fans at annoying levels and 68F room temp.

I'd like to run stock clocks at say 1.040 so I keep it at around the same temps but lower fan speeds, but using sapphire trixx doesn't seem to let me undervolt, only overvolt.

Also, voltage adjustments don't show up in afterburner despite numerous "fixes" I've found online.

Any ideas?

EDIT: forgot to say the card is an XFX DD 900
 
Last edited:
Haven't Bitcoin mined in a while, but I was able to undervolt just fine when using cgminer. Trixx never worked for me (though I had a Sapphire card), and voltage settings on Afterburner wouldn't stick once cgminer came up. Just ended up doing it in the miner instead of other program.
 
Currently I'm using GUIminer, not sure if there is anyway to change voltages with it or not. Total noob to this, first time I've had a card capable of mining.
 
To be honest, unless you have multiple cards mining for you at the same time and don't have to pay for electricity costs (I don't since it's included in my rent), it's not worth it this late in the game. It puts a lot more wear on the fan, and there's always the risk of your card frying if the GPU fan fails (it will fail sooner, since you're taxing it 24/7) and you're not home and it doesn't shut off like it's supposed to. Moreover, the mining really doesn't amount to much unless you do it 24/7/365.

I cashed all my BTCs out before the big boom since I ran out of unemployment and needed it, but even then I don't regret getting out of mining. It creates a lot of noise (I had shop fans on my GPUs 24/7 even when it was cold) so unless you have the computers in a different room, it's like you can never enjoy being on your computer anymore for fear of losing out on coins.

I'll probably start back up doing it since I'll have an extra system again, but that's with 3 or 4 GPUs going at the same time in a DIFFERENT ROOM so I can actually watch a movie, and I probably won't make a single Bitcoin but once every month (if that -_-)
 
Yeah, I understand it's hardly worth it since the difficulty is so high these days, and with the imminent introduction of ASICs it will certainly be a waste then. I'm basically doing it for the "fun" of it. Really trying to sell some of my older tech stuff for BTC.

As far as electricity I'm from the good ole' coal burnin' state of Kentucky, so when all is said and done i'm paying .09/KWHr, running the rig 24/7 would only be around $20/month but I won't have that near much uptime.
 
Its no less profitable now [if you go by daily profit @ that days price] than it was months ago, thanks to the spike in prices. Daily profit - electricity is actually higher now. Of course, $2 made per day in January is now the equivalent of ~$15.

Of course, with ASICs and imminent price stabilization or crash, it wont be profitable too much longer. But nothing wrong with getting a bit of money off of it in these last few weeks of small time miner profits :)

I've made $880 [@current prices] off of mining since Nov/Dec with a single 7950, with uptime < 20%. [Although I run @ 1150]

So, as for your question..

Are you using force constant voltage? If not, enable it.

Does your card have multiple bios? If yes, use the non-boost one.

Have you tried other programs for monitoring? Try HWInfo, its the best that I've seen.

Have you tried finding alternate BIOS for your card? http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...ufacturer=&model=HD+7950&interface=&memSize=0

Good luck!



Btw, if you have a Kill-A-Watt or something, LMK what your power consumption is. I get 630MHash/s @ 210w [Starts at 195w, rises with temps a whole 15w!] or 600 @ 200w for lower noise.
 
When I get some more free time I'll look into the BIOS thing. Pretty sure it's definitely not dual-bios and I'd be a bit nervous about flashing.

Tried forcing constant voltage, disabling/enabling ULPS also.


Wish I had a KAW.. but I'm glad to see my power consumption may not be as bad as thought, but I'd say I have a more power hungry processor (fx 6300), either way I told my roommates I would throw about $20 on top of what I pay on the power bill to make up for it
 
Back
Top