• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Understanding Turbo Boost

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Messages
1,166
So I am looking at getting a new laptop soon, and I feel it is worth while to spend the extra money and get a Core i5 system so I can have Turbo Boost, as well as Hyper Threading.

I was checking to make sure that all mobile Core i5 CPUs have Turbo Boost, and I came along the article below on wikipedia. What is the difference between 2/2 and 2/4 Turbo Boost?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors

I understand that the Quad-Core models will ramp up faster depending on whether 2 or 3 cores are idle, but these chips are all Dual-Core... Thanks.
 
How many times the FSB is multiplied. The "Boost" is X(FSB) where X is that "2/4" you see


For the column where it says Turbo -> 2/2

2 is 2(FSB) which is 2x133 = +266mhz
THE OTHER 2 applies when only one core is used
same procedure -> 2(FSB) -> 2x133 = +266mhz

so that processor has a stock max turbo boost of 266

2/4 on the other hand

First "2", = +266mhz when two cores are used increasing both core's clocks by 266
Second "4" = +532mhz when one core is used, therefore increasing the clock of the single core.

for quad cores its 4/3/2/1 cores used
dualies 2/1 used

I never knew how to read the 2/4 2/2 etc before, but i definatley just learned it like it was nothing from the accompanying wiki article @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

not to be condescending, but it was really too simple if you happened to get to the actual Turbo Boost article. did you get stuck somewhere?
 
NVM.. I was confused because I was like, why would there be a 2x boost if all cores were used? But I supposed if all cores were being used for a small period of time it would be okay and it wouldn't exceed it's thermal or electrical limit. Or if cooling was adequate. I guess I just assumed it would be more like 0/4 or 0/2. Since it should run at full speed, and clock down when not in use (SpeedStep). It all makes sense to me now.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top