Understanding SMART Values for WD HDD

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
1,711
So I have been having some drive issues lately (due to a failing mobo controller) and decided to look into the SMART values in Ubuntu (go live cd!). My drive tested as follows:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 200 200 051 Pre-fail Always - 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 157 154 021 Pre-fail Always - 5125
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 1279
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 096 096 000 Old_age Always - 3482
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 1275
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 133
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 1276
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 112 106 000 Old_age Always - 35
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 200 200 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 200 200 000 Old_age Offline - 0


Everything looks good but I am having a big WTF as to why the Seek_Error_Rate value is set to 100 and the worst is 253. I know this is only an informational value ("0" zero) however I was hoping that someone could explain why these 2 attributes seem to be backwards?

The drive is a WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2. I also have a second identical drive which is showing the same value for the Seek_Error_Rate?!
 
Back
Top