Understand Trolling for $36

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
"Constructing the cyber-troll: Psychopathy, sadism, and empathy" But wait! There's more! I would suggest this study is valid, but it only accounts for three genders.

Online trolling is of particular concern due to the harmful negative outcomes its victims experience. The current study sought to explore and extend the personality profile of Internet trolls. After gender was controlled for, psychopathy, sadism, and empathy (affective empathy, cognitive empathy, and social skills) were examined for their predictive utility of trolling behaviour. A sample of 415 participants (36% men, 63% women, 1% other) with a mean age of 23.37 years (SD = 7.19) completed an online questionnaire. Results showed that men were more likely than women to engage in trolling, and higher levels of trait psychopathy and sadism predicted trolling behaviour. Lower levels of affective empathy predicted perpetration of trolling, and trait psychopathy moderated the association between cognitive empathy and trolling. Results indicate that when high on trait psychopathy, trolls employ an empathic strategy of predicting and recognising the emotional suffering of their victims, while abstaining from the experience of these negative emotions. Thus, trolls appear to be master manipulators of both cyber-settings and their victims' emotions.

lets all take a minute to appreciate that multiple professionals allocated months of effort designing, recruiting for, & administering this testing while utilizing grant-awarded funds.

this is wat society has turned into, people. soak it in.

I guess it's Kyle's contribution to the percentile of trolling?

> (36% men, 63% women, 1% other)

um.. whats with the other 1% ?

Reactions: Rahh
like this
At first I thought I understood this post. (hell yeah), I get it.

Then I was like:

tenor.gif

"Results indicate that when high on trait psychopathy"
I love smoking that fine trait psychopathy herb.

As somebody who has participated in the design and execution of similar studies in experimental psychology (way back in the 90's) this study is meaningless with regards to understanding the general population. The population sample is too small (415 participants) and is under-represented by sex (36% men and 63% women) and the average age (23.37) is too young suggesting the subjects were probably college students.

I am not going to pay $36.00 to verify whether the authors of the study, both women, are feminists with an agenda to advance but it seems likely. Granted many if not most trolls are assholes but some people who troll feminists are people who are genuinely responding to a negative narrative advanced by radical misandristic feminists. Quite possibly this study is an attempt by feminists to invalidate legitimate grievances, advanced by men, by labeling dissenters to the feminist agenda as psychopathic sadists.

Well now, my thoughts exactly .... almost.

I think all these people don't know the difference between a troll and an asshole. Maybe it's because we have no sense of smell over the internet, at least not without one of these;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISmell

It would be so much easier to accurately identify an asshole if you could just sniff it.

Trolls are not assholes, they are artists. They do not ply their skills to demean and belittle others, they simply entertain by allowing others to fall for simple ruses which cause no harm.

I wish the media and the populace at large would wake up to the difference because the world could use a few more talented trolls, not put them on an endangered list.

It really bothers me that "trolling" has become synonymous with "being an asshole".

It used to be something that was potentially funny, usually really dumb, and a little obvious at second glance. Now you basically have people doing the equivalent of walking up to random people and punching them and going "it's a just a joke, why are you upset!?!?!"

It really bothers me that "trolling" has become synonymous with "being an asshole".

It used to be something that was potentially funny, usually really dumb, and a little obvious at second glance. Now you basically have people doing the equivalent of walking up to random people and punching them and going "it's a just a joke, why are you upset!?!?!"

It's just like a good practical joke, no one gets hurt, in fact, the best is when the target actually benefits from the attention even if it's a little uncomfortable at first, in the end they are supposed to get something useful out of it.

Mainstream media got a hold of the word, and as usual, they don't understand what it means. Now it means whatever.

Back