Underperforming and struggling FX 5900 XT...

donkey33

Limp Gawd
Hey.

Can someone help me with my card. I feel it just struggles when running games not even at full capacity.
I had a MX 440 before the 5900 XT and I'm not noticing that much of a difference which is wrong because I've been told I should notice a huge difference.

For example, I run Tiger Woods 2003 at 1280x1024 with application AA and AF on and it doesn't run smoothly and jumps around even when the ball is just flying through the air.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get it right. I'll update the drivers but is there anything else I should do. It's never been overclocked so it's still at stock.

Any help is appreaciated......Thanks

Should notice a good leap in performance between the two cards, the FX 5900 is light years beyond the mx 440.

Having said that, what are your system specs?

Sorry, should've mentioned them.

AMD XP 2800+
768 DDR
128 MB FX 5900 XT
Asus A7N8X-E Delux
XP Home

I'm using the 56.72's but I've had this problem with other drivers as well.

I've heard about updating the chipset. How do I do this?

Freaky, those should perform just fine.

Really don't know where to go with it other than to check your running processes for anything that is continually hitting the cpu, Tweakmasters dialup meter is just one small example of that.

It's most games. Tiger Woods was just an example but most games seem to be performing under par.

The reason I noticed it was because they didn't look too different from my previous card (MX 440) which is not right.

Could the card be overheating and it's lowering the clock speeds? I think it has that feature.

I know this is kinda a catch all but..... have you taken an ol HDD and done a fresh install on the system? It might be you have something swimming around in there that is eating cpu cycles like crazy. What is you CPU useage at idle in windows?

I've had the very same laggy problem with all of my previous AMD-processor-based systems, as well, regardless of which graphics card that I used. My previous Barton/nForce2 system paused gameplay at times (read: lagged on occasion) with both a GeForce 4 Ti4400 and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Not even my old 700MHz Intel PIII with older-generation graphics cards had this problem.

And I'm not blaming AMD in this case, because the third-party chipset makers still can't get all three things (performance, reliability, compatibility) right. They have so far gotten only two of the three things right - but flopped badly on the third.

Hmmm, thanks guys.

The HDD was new with a fresh XP install so nothing should be wrong there (Although it's 2 years old).

The card shouldn't be overheating. It's only 3 months old and I havent o/c'ed at all so it's still running at stock speeds which weren't that high anyway.

I might try and find an AMD update. See if it might be that problem. I didn't really have this problem with my MX 440 though. I was impressed by its performance.

Try and update the chipset drivers - It wouldn't of mattered before because the stock AGP drivers were probably ahead of the GF4Mx, but at this case, it's probably the AGP definitions that are dragging you down.

I had the same issue when I went from my GF2 to my GF4

Before: 3D Mark2001SE: ~2500
After: 3D Mark2001SE: ~8000+

Back