• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Underclocking and Turbo Overclocking 2500k?

Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
671
Hey guys. I am not really using my PC anymore for gaming. No time, however I am in the market for server PC, for my upcoming house. Instead of letting this sit idle, im wondering if I can reasonably underclock my current PC, to say 2.3 or so (same as 2500T), undervolt it, and have it ramp on turbo, to whatever I like (id assume not much higher then stock). I was going to look at a mac mini, or mini PC (got a build thread, and im shopping around/researching), and got this idea. I like the idea of the mac mini and its 11w at idle. I know with my hardware, even underclocked, I wont pull only 10w, but id like it super low, since the PC will be 24/7 for automation/media server.

Any issue with this? I think ill also try to turn on virtu, and kill my video card when not in use (which is pretty much all the time now)
 
Last edited:
Use EIST and C1E. These two functions in the bios will clock the 2500k down to ~1.2 ghz (not sure what the exact number is), and undervolt it while it's idling. It'll bring it back up to whatever speeds you set it at when it experiences a load. No need to use turbo or whatever.

If you really want to, you can use a negative offset to lower voltage across all clock speeds. If you set a manual voltage, it'll stay at that voltage regardless of clock speed.

Virtu won't really help unless the cards can shut themselves completely down. Currently, the only cards capable of doing this is the AMD 7xxx series.
 
Back
Top