Under desk keyboard tray for sit/ stand desk?

Peat Moss

Gawd
I'm planning on getting a sit and standing desk. The desk is only 24" deep and because I will have 3 monitors and a bunch of items on the desk, I don't think I'll have room to place the keyboard on the desk top itself. So I will need to sit back from the desk using a keyboard tray. But the desk has a cross beam underneath and I'm not exactly sure how deep the cross beam is (probably 5-6 inches). This will interfere with most normal under desk keyboard trays.

Does anyone here use a sit/stand desk with an under desk keyboard tray? Are there workarounds for the cross beam interference problem? Are there special keyboard trays that compensate for a shallow keyboard track depth?

Screenshot_20240110-130253.png

There are a few of these on Amazon was looking into it.

I'm planning on getting a sit and standing desk. The desk is only 24" deep and because I will have 3 monitors and a bunch of items on the desk, I don't think I'll have room to place the keyboard on the desk top itself. So I will need to sit back from the desk using a keyboard tray. But the desk has a cross beam underneath and I'm not exactly sure how deep the cross beam is (probably 5-6 inches). This will interfere with most normal under desk keyboard trays.

Does anyone here use a sit/stand desk with an under desk keyboard tray? Are there workarounds for the cross beam interference problem? Are there special keyboard trays that compensate for a shallow keyboard track depth?
nope havent run into that but you could use wood to make "risers" so it clears the crossmember or get a clamp on one that mounts to the front edge of the desk.

View attachment 626219

There are a few of these on Amazon was looking into it.

But wouldn't that retract back into the desk too far? Or would I have to leave it extended all the time?

nope havent run into that but you could use wood to make "risers" so it clears the crossmember or get a clamp on one that mounts to the front edge of the desk.

That's what I was kind of thinking. Make a platform beneath the cross beam and attached the keyboard tray to that.

Could you get sit/stand legs and purchase a larger desktop separately? I have a butcherblock top that measures 29" on my sit/stand legs.

Could you get sit/stand legs and purchase a larger desktop separately? I have a butcherblock top that measures 29" on my sit/stand legs.

Yes, I could even get separate C-legs instead of the usual T-legs, which would give me more clearance underneath. The problem with a bigger desk than 24" is if I get a deeper desk, those extra inches means pushing my other desk beside it (in an L-shape) several inches back past what I have room for. I'd need to re-arrange everything (I suppose I could do that).

Back