• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Under $50 card - gamer, nothing else

PixelFreak

n00b
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
37
OK, This is what I have:

AMD XP 3200+
Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR
1 GB (2 sticks) of CORSAIR XMS RAM
Gigabyte 6600GT AGP
500 Watt PS

All of that, running with a SBLive! Value PCI. Argh.

OK, here's what I do:
Play games (BF2, RTCW:ET, and DOD:S when it's done)
Listen to music occasionally

Here's what I don't do:
DON'T watch movies on computer (no need for hardware decoding for Dolby, etc.)

How I do it:
Almost ALWAYS with headphones on

What I need to know:
What is the best card for under $50 that will meet my needs. I hate the drivers that install with that Creative card (even with driver only install), and not a huge fan of the card. The onboard sound is horrible (mobo sound) because the bass and higher frequencies just garble.

I game, I only need a PCI card that will sound good for games and occasional music, but something better than the SBLive! line of cards without hardware decoder support (but hardware buffers, of course!)

Any ideas? And if so, why?

Also, how do I research headphones? I would like a more comfortable pair that sound good but also have a mic (for VoIP in BF2).

TIA,
PixelFreak
 
I am on eBay right now, might have a line on a audigy 2 zs for about $30..but we'll see.

Otherwise, I will try to find the Creative store and look at their prices. Thanks much!
 
As is always the case on Ebay... pay carefull attention to what the seller charges for shipping. :)
I have seen to many apparently good deals get ruined by overpriced shipping.... and that is one of the cool things about the whole Creative store thing.
Their shipping is very reasonable ($2 for the last card I got from them)
 
Back
Top