• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Under 100 dollar amp

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,228
So I just got a new laptop today for my wife to use when at school and home. We will be getting a new desk to allow us to sit side by side when in the second bedroom which is our office.

I currently am driving a set of Infinity Studio Monitor 185's and Primus 162's from a Denon 1610 with my main computer. Sounds great, but honestly I don't need the second set of speakers as I normally just listen in stereo.

As a result I am looking to purchase a small amp to drive the Primus 162's and connect to the laptop for when my wife wants to jam out. I dont think I need tooo much power since the 162's are pretty efficient and 8ohms.

I am looking at either this or this. Curious as to what everyone's thoughts are. I want to keep this around 100 bucks and very very easy to connect for my wife. She will be listening in stereo mostly or through headphones so if it has a headphone jack that is amped as well that would rock even more.
 
The Dayton T-Amp is too weak IMO.

Dayton DTA-100a is out of stock until 11/24/10.

Are you willing to go used?
 
You can buy a Topping TP20 off ebay for around 80 bucks shipped. The Topping TP21 comes with a headphone jack for a bit more. Do note that some don't come with the power adapters, so read carefully. It should be better than the Dayton DTA-1. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the DTA-100.

According to this thread - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/163926-got-my-parts-express-dta-100-amp-today.html , the innards of the DTA-100 are pretty shoddily put together. Hopefully they've improved since then.
 
The Topping TP21 T-Amp does look nice. I also like that it looks like I can use banana plugs w/ it. That one might be the winner so far.
 
Back
Top