Under 100 dollar amp

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just got a new laptop today for my wife to use when at school and home. We will be getting a new desk to allow us to sit side by side when in the second bedroom which is our office.

I currently am driving a set of Infinity Studio Monitor 185's and Primus 162's from a Denon 1610 with my main computer. Sounds great, but honestly I don't need the second set of speakers as I normally just listen in stereo.

As a result I am looking to purchase a small amp to drive the Primus 162's and connect to the laptop for when my wife wants to jam out. I dont think I need tooo much power since the 162's are pretty efficient and 8ohms.

I am looking at either this or this. Curious as to what everyone's thoughts are. I want to keep this around 100 bucks and very very easy to connect for my wife. She will be listening in stereo mostly or through headphones so if it has a headphone jack that is amped as well that would rock even more.

The Dayton T-Amp is too weak IMO.

Dayton DTA-100a is out of stock until 11/24/10.

Are you willing to go used?

You can buy a Topping TP20 off ebay for around 80 bucks shipped. The Topping TP21 comes with a headphone jack for a bit more. Do note that some don't come with the power adapters, so read carefully. It should be better than the Dayton DTA-1. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the DTA-100.

According to this thread - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/163926-got-my-parts-express-dta-100-amp-today.html , the innards of the DTA-100 are pretty shoddily put together. Hopefully they've improved since then.

The Topping TP21 T-Amp does look nice. I also like that it looks like I can use banana plugs w/ it. That one might be the winner so far.

Back