undelete to prevent user stupidity

dx2

Gawd
Are there any products that someone could recommend for Server 2003 that act as a fail safe for user stupidity/provide an option to collect all deleted files?

We have a 24 hour daily back up to a Tivoli server, but that only provides 24 hour coverage...so if you work for 6 hours, save your work to the server or your personal drive, and then accidentally delete your work you are set back that amount of work regardless of the last nightly back up.

Is there a way to enable to recycle bin on the server so to speak?

Sorry had to rant after a stupid doctor managed to achieve the above described scenario. :rolleyes:

I asked this before and I was told that there was no way to retrieve deleted network files.... I was told to try Novell.

They should have known better...

but anyways, googling brought up this utility http://www.undelete.com/file-recovery.asp

"Undelete replaces the Windows recycle bin with a catch-all Recovery Bin™ that intercepts all deleted files, no matter how they were deleted or who deleted them. Lost file? File recovery is no problem! Use the Recovery Bin's Windows Explorer-like interface to navigate to the file, or take advantage of Undelete's powerful search capabilities. Right-click the file, select Recover, and the file is back. NEW Version Protection makes it even easier to restore overwritten versions of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) files. Just right-click the file and select View Versions and restore the file you want. You can even preview the files before recovery to help you find the right version."

it looks like there's a server edition too

Haha. Replied before I clicked the link, and the link answered that question. I tried to edit my post...but you beat me to it. :D

VSS still has gaps and might kill performance if you run it too often, just keep that in mind.

I'll chime in here with a bit of advice; It should be a problem ( for the end user ) to recover a file. You want to train your users to understand the significance of deleting a file.

I used to bend over backwards to recover data; All that did was train my users to be careless about their data. Now a days, I can't recover shit without a form filled out ( then I go back to tape, but if they want the changes made since last night they're SOL ). My users have a very healthy respect for their data now.

XOR != OR said:
I'll chime in here with a bit of advice; It should be a problem ( for the end user ) to recover a file. You want to train your users to understand the significance of deleting a file.

I used to bend over backwards to recover data; All that did was train my users to be careless about their data. Now a days, I can't recover shit without a form filled out ( then I go back to tape, but if they want the changes made since last night they're SOL ). My users have a very healthy respect for their data now.

That's a good idea. Seems like it would be a good CYA for the admin too, so no users can come back and blame anything on you "overwriting" their data.

XOR != OR said:

Not every company would allow this attitude, especially smaller companies.

But VSS is a free life saver. You can use it as you wish. Don't tell user's how to recover their files with it, then you can set your own SLAs as far as recovery time.

Rube said:
Not every company would allow this attitude, especially smaller companies.
You'd be surprised what you can get away with when you have the right attitude and you are usually right.

Anyway, any time you can get a user to respect their data, it's not a bad thing.

XOR != OR said:
You'd be surprised what you can get away with when you have the right attitude and you are usually right.

Anyway, any time you can get a user to respect their data, it's not a bad thing.
LOL. True. But being right is never a guarantee of success.

I worked for a company once where they did as you do: file recovery forms, approved by managers, reports to dept heads detailing who deleted what, etc. Thats how the boss wanted it. I then moved to a small company and implemented the same things with the boss' approval. Users flipped. Boss was wishy-washy. He eventually had me scrap it all, stating: "You are here for the employee's benefit. If they get more done (read: make me money) by being sloppy with their data, then you have to account for that and work harder."

Any company that is willing to let it's employee's be "stupid" about their work, you dont want to work for anyways.

So it is a good attititude, people should know what to do and not to do.

MrGuvernment said:
Any company that is willing to let it's employee's be "stupid" about their work, you dont want to work for anyways.

So it is a good attititude, people should know what to do and not to do.

Kiss off all Corporate jobs then. Thats just how it is in the real world. I do VSS twice a day. I run a farely large volume file cluster (>4TB). I run my VSS to sperate disk to reduce the disk load when it taking the shadow copy.

With the amount of data we have in the netrprise my data isn't even on the TSM disk pool for a full day. waiting for the LTO Gen I tape library to do restores sucks. sometimes takes over an hour for 40-50MB.

Rube said:
LOL. True. But being right is never a guarantee of success.
That's why you need the right attitude; You present your solution as the only logical option, and you treat those who argue otherwise to a stare that make your opinion of them clear.

Sure, I'm an asshole, but 90% of the time I get my way. :D
I worked for a company once where they did as you do: file recovery forms, approved by managers, reports to dept heads detailing who deleted what, etc. Thats how the boss wanted it. I then moved to a small company and implemented the same things with the boss' approval. Users flipped. Boss was wishy-washy. He eventually had me scrap it all, stating: "You are here for the employee's benefit. If they get more done (read: make me money) by being sloppy with their data, then you have to account for that and work harder."
Yeah, I came across that argument; I successfully proved that employees who are careful with their data are more productive. And that I'd be more productive if I wasn't playing file recovery all day.

It's a common battle that won't be solved here to be sure, but in my mind it's the only way to do it.

Thanks for all the replies. VSS seems to be the way to go.

Along with an e-mail to the office DL to instill the importance of data into the users minds. :p

oakfan52 said:
Kiss off all Corporate jobs then. Thats just how it is in the real world. I do VSS twice a day. I run a farely large volume file cluster (>4TB). I run my VSS to sperate disk to reduce the disk load when it taking the shadow copy.

With the amount of data we have in the netrprise my data isn't even on the TSM disk pool for a full day. waiting for the LTO Gen I tape library to do restores sucks. sometimes takes over an hour for 40-50MB.

i have had 2 and currently in 2nd one for almost 6 years :)

Unfortuantly i do understand what you say, when your hired to be the IT / Admin, thas what you do, what they ask you to do, no matter what it is - it better work and they see it that if it isnt working - your not doing your job then.

MrGuvernment said:
i have had 2 and currently in 2nd one for almost 6 years :)

Unfortuantly i do understand what you say, when your hired to be the IT / Admin, thas what you do, what they ask you to do, no matter what it is - it better work and they see it that if it isnt working - your not doing your job then.
I've actually never had this issue; I think it has to do with a little bit of politics, a lot of mindset. I treat everyone respectfully and I give them the information they need to make good decisions.

Oh, and I'm stubborn. I won't back down from anybody when I know I'm right. :D

How do you handle having your suggestions ignored and the wrong equipment purchased to implement a solution that is unattainable within the budget/time frame that management hands you?

ps I work for the government :p

Back