Undeletable file:need help

BlackDragon323

Limp Gawd
I was d/l the new ATI driver with Firefox and I have Get Right download manager. Well, it kept popping up some wierd shit, and I closed all windows. The file started to d/l to desktop with the built in d/l of the browser. Apparently it only got a few kb's into it when it stopped. So I went on with IE and got the file.

Now my problem is: the incomplete file on the desktop can't be deleted. It refuses to go into the recycle bin and keeps giving me a "Cannot delete file because it is in use by another person or program, please close program."......well, there's nothing running!
Rebooting several times doesn't work. I went into the properties to make sure it wasn't locked, and it isn't. I can't even move it to the C drive, it continues to stay on the desktop.
I went into Documents/Desktop and saw it there---it wont let me do anything with it, not even rename it.

The file is only about 10.6kb. I tried opening it and it starts a DOS promt,but there's nothing on the screen.

How the hell do I get rid of this???

Thanks in advance

Boot into safemode and remove if from there.

If for some really freakishly odd reason that doesn't do the trick, run a chkdsk /r.

If you're curious about who's locking it, get a copy of WhoLockMe.

thanks for the help, and that utility is awesome. It showed that it is explorer.exe that is locking it.

But nothing works. I tried Safe mode, and still can't get rid of it.
If I end explorer process I lose the stuff on my desktop (I don't know how to get a command prompt). Is there a way to do it through the command prompt? Like C:/delete -filename- or something like that??

BlackDragon323 said:
thanks for the help, and that utility is awesome. It showed that it is explorer.exe that is locking it.

But nothing works. I tried Safe mode, and still can't get rid of it.
If I end explorer process I lose the stuff on my desktop (I don't know how to get a command prompt). Is there a way to do it through the command prompt? Like C:/delete -filename- or something like that??
End explorer through task manager, then do file run (there is a run line in task manager) and open cmd.exe. Then delete the file through the command prompt.

PHEW!
deleting thru the command prompt did it.

Thanks SO much for the help, that was driving me nuts.
:p

I'm bookmarking those links for future ref.
:)

I forgot to mention I was running XP Pro-SP2
:p

Back