Undecided on Case for SLI SB build

Nostrovia

Limp Gawd
As the thread title suggests, I'm stumped trying to find a case for my new build. I've pretty much got everything I need for this build, minus the case and the inline sata power cable. Here's my build

CPU: i7 2600k w/ noctua nh-c14 dual fan cooler
Mobo: Sabertooth p67
RAM: 16gb G.skill ddr3 1333
Vcard: 2 EVGA GTX 580
audio: xfi fatality
3-4hdds (depends if i cave in on a ssd before it's put together lol)
1 dvd drive

I have an antec 902 on my c2d rig, and it gets great temps (37c on my 470 right now just surfing the web). So i think the 1200 v3 would be just as good, especially with more fans, etc... BUT I can't get any measurement of the distance from the rear of the case to where the hdd cages mount since the gtx 580 is 10.5" in length, I dont want to buy it if it won't fit, or i cannot use the extra fan there.

so my other interests are
the raven rv-01 (Love the looks but expensive)
raven rv-02/03 don't like the looks as much
fractal design r3 xl but hear it's cheeply made
corsair 800d (pricey and not sure how well the airflow is)
again the antec 1200 is my first pick atm, if i know it fits the vcards... will be nice having two nearly matching rigs

I don't see any sli gallery thread on here, i thought there used to be one.. that way it's easy to get a better idea what to get... this is my first SLI build. and I'm a sucker for a full tower lol just going air cooling only atm... any input would help .. thanks everyone!

well whats your budget for a case?

personally with doing air sli, go with the raven 02. dont let pics fool you it looks absolutely beautiful in person, and installation is much easier

The budget I was putting aside was ~$200 maybe a little over depneding on the case.

the reviews I read on the rv02 had me interested, But the pictures had me uncertain..lol. newegg only has it with the window (which is on the ride side it'll be on my desk..lol.

if only the rv03 didn't have the akward psu mount imo, and the "goldish" trim on the front :(

Last edited:
Might want to look at the Corsair 650D or White 600T, they seem to meet your needs.

Of course, I'm biased.

Might want to look at the Corsair 650D or White 600T, they seem to meet your needs.

Of course, I'm biased.

totally forgot about that case, but OP did say full tower so thats probably why lol.

but the 650d is an amazing case also

Damn, that 650d reminds me of a scaled down 850d, which i really dig, but can't picture putting out $280 for.. that's a nice lookin' case. How's the construction on a fractal case? I had never heard of them before till lately.

I did mention full tower earlier, but as long as there's plenty of breathing room i can go for a mid..that 650 looks great i'll have to do some looking for sli rigs with the 650 to judge how much room i'd have.

with all that info so far it's looking like a raven or the 650, with the rv02 and the rotated mobo, would that have any impact on my noctua nh-c14.. maybe getting a non topdown cpu cooler, like a hyper 212 or something would benefit better the way the air will flow across it?

usually i'd just go with my first choice, but being an sli rig I want to get the best possible choice for it. Almost going OCD on this build lmao

Spinerex would be my first pick with a MIR that makes it $85, Next i would go with the RV02. The 650d is a good case but way over priced since you can get the 800 for the same price. The third case i would pick is the 600T White, that is a wicked sexy case.

I have an 800D...if you are going with air cooling then this case isn't for you. Well...unless you want to add about 6 more fans lol. The case comes set up with 3 fans I believe but they are pretty cheap. Don't get me wrong, the case is stinkin beast but if your going air cooled route, there are cases that fit that tab much better. Good luck with your new build, sounds exciting! :D

ACTS 840 would be a nice case recommendation if you are looking for something none flashy.

Cooler Master HAF-932 or HAF-X

I picked up a HAF-932 last week and it's a pretty decent case with lots of space and large fans.
1x140mm, 3x230mm

I have a similar system only using 480s. The L10 GT performs very well in every area but its a love it or hate it look and a bit on the pricey side.

I like the new Xigmatec Elyssium. $200ish and enormous.

Whatever you get, I think a good side panel fan really helps and consider tri slot cooling...

Bamaland, thanks for the link, the 650 looks damn good, don't care for the moulding around the window, BUT that's easily ignorable lol. Looking on a 650d thread there's a rig with my mobo (sabertooth p67) and that case has a decent amount of space in it. even the rig with sli 580's has decent room. looks like there's only one intake fan? :-/

JWD, yeah i'm sure the 800d is overkill for my needs.. but it's one helluva sexy case.. nice and clean...

Zepher: I had looked into those HAF cases, i hear they're easy to work in and have great airflow, i'd have to ditch the haf x's red led fans and go blue perhaps. I just can't seem to like the front of it... does it look better in person than in pics on the net?

Double Tap.... it's funny you bring up the L10 gt, I came across that the other week and sorta liked it...lol. it's different. Haven't been able to come across any sort of temperature benchmarks for it however.

i did see that Eigmatec Elyssium while at worktoday... the looks of that case are very industrial looking.. would go great with my sabertooth.

i know it's more expensive than the raven rv02, the silverstone ft02 seems to get good reviews as well, seems to top the charts on lowest cpu/gpu temps. which keeping my gpus cool is my biggest concern...

RV03, pretty neat 'little' case.

You really don't need anything but the stock fans on it, by the way. I added some optional front and rear intake fans and they don't seem to do a whole lot.

Zepher: I had looked into those HAF cases, i hear they're easy to work in and have great airflow, i'd have to ditch the haf x's red led fans and go blue perhaps. I just can't seem to like the front of it... does it look better in person than in pics on the net?

It actually looks very good in person to me.

The more i look at that rv03 i'm digging the "gold" trim, being a Pens fan it sorta reminds me of their colors... and would look good under my doom art that it'd be sitting under lol (and the window is on the proper side for me). does the rv03 cool better than the rv02?

my only concern with the tv03 is that the psu is mounted sideways.. i'll have to do measure my hx1000 to see if it'd even fit..

I think I've pretty much decided on the raven rv02... The Corsair 650d i really was interested in but with the # of hdds I'll probably be running it'll block a majority of the airflow to the 2 580's, I want them babies cool as ice :D

Back