"Unconventional" Folding boxes

Ghent915

Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
974
Hey guys:
With all the talk of the PS3 Folding client and the like, it has gotten me pondering other "unconventional" folding boxen.

Take, for example, your bone-stock Xbox. I'm sure we all have crappers laying around with around 700mhz of processing power. With the Xbox, you have a 733mhz system for all intents and purposes that can be bought for bloody well cheap (if you don't already have one) Thanks to the joys of various mod-chips and loaders, you can install certain flavors of linux, and then have a headless folder that is quiet, cheap, and probably energy efficient. Needless to say, hitting up a few yardsales, or used console sales could net you quite the farm/garden.

Along the same lines, if someone ever A) hacked the X360, or B) got Microsoft's blessing, the Xbox 360 would be a MEAN folder. Yes, the cores are somewhat specialized, but still, 3 (!!!) 3.2ghz cores? That would lay some serious hurting on work-units.

I'm sure someone else has pondered this. Thoughts, opinions, flames?
-Ghent
 
I'm sure that some people fold with an Xbox, but only being ~700MHz doesn't make it all that productive. There comes a point when the power used (ie your power bill) doesn't justify the PPD return.
Now if someone got a 360 folding....that'd be different ;)

 
Oh yea...people have their xbox folding...i think there is even a guide some where.
 
I'm keeping my fingers crossed so that one day there might be an X360 client, as well as the PS3 one. I wonder if Stanford has contacted M$ about this...it would be a semi-decent PR move on their part to open up the console to them for a "community good" project.

-Ghent
 
Back
Top