Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

I'll co sign Domingo's post and simply add this:

It's hard to beat Naughty Dog at what they do. I think they are one of the best developers in all gaming and I still wish they would have their games on the PC, too, but I digress.

All told, I'm definitely sold on this series continuing post Drake. This proves to me they can do it and do it well.

Last edited:
Hmmm. No FPS drops on my end. I'm on a PS4 Pro...wonder if that helped? I also have motion blur totally disabled as well.

I was also on a PS4 Pro with motion blur disabled, running at 4K with HDR on.

And yeah, I agree that the open world part was the weakest link. I think they should've scrapped the open world section in favor of more linear, action oriented sequences.

You mentioned finding the tokens being worth it. First thing I did after getting the bracelet was immediately disable the proximity sensor. It made the loudest most obnoxious sound ever and it was driving me nuts.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I was also on a PS4 Pro with motion blur disabled, running at 4K with HDR on.

And yeah, I agree that the open world part was the weakest link. I think they should've scrapped the open world section in favor of more linear, action oriented sequences.

You mentioned finding the tokens being worth it. First thing I did after getting the bracelet was immediately disable the proximity sensor. It made the loudest most obnoxious sound ever and it was driving me nuts.

Weird. Might just be a quirk with that sequence. There are a TON of potential jeeps, bikes, and enemies in that area and you don't technically have to destroy any of 'em. Could be that the game just got overloaded.

I like the bracelet, although I have the volume on my controller turned down pretty low to being with. I'm making a 2nd pass to grab some treasures I missed and (unlike 1-4) I don't need to look up where the treasures are hiding. After getting the bracelet I only missed on treasure for the last 60% of the game. I only found like 5-6 in total prior to getting it. For some reason I feel obligated to get all of the treasures in all of the Uncharted games. I think it the back of my mind I know it's the only way anyone can afford that lifestyle :p

Since I'm now done with this (for now), I'm in the process of replaying Uncharted 4 while it's still fresh in my mind. It's definitely quite a bit longer than Lost Legacy thanks to the extended plot-focused chapters. It's harder, too. At the same time, it feels like on hard difficulty it has the same weird aiming quirks that U3 had. I can line people up with no problem, but it's like my bullets fly all around their target instead of actually hitting it. I don't recall struggling with that before, so it might be related to the difficulty and aim-assist algorithm or something.

like this
LOL, that shadow puzzle might be the single most annoying puzzle in the entire series. That took me a solid 20 minutes. Once you screw it up to a certain degree it's just a matter of luck or reloading.

like this
https://www.psu.com/news/34094/uncharted-4-development-troubled-history-surfaces

This has been making the rounds this morning and I suppose it explains a lot of things about Uncharted 4. It sounds like more stayed in the final game than you might expect. I mean, Nate really doesn't pick up a gun until pretty far into the game. While Sam's character (and voice actor) might have changed, all of the backstory stuff could be left intact as-is. Ditto with the large Madagascar and Scotland areas. It seems like Sam and Rafe's side stories and voice actors are the main things that got changed.
I still enjoyed the game, but the pacing isn't there. Everything feels leisurely and a bit disjointed.

like this
I just finished reading that book over the weekend. A lot of these games go through hellfire to get made. ;)

It's amazing how well some of them turn around despite all of that and overall I'm very happy with Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy. I can see the arguments about staying with Nathan vs "retiring" him...where else could we really go with him? That and these people want to move on and do something different.

All told as best we can deduce from public info... it seems like a decent amount of "both visions" ended up in the final game anyways so... *shrugs*

I don't know if they will continue with this series with new leads or not. Last of Us 2 is up next and I'm really looking forward to it.

Jason Schreier's next book could easily be "Blood, Sweat, and Pixels II: Mess Effect." (deliberate misspell)

That would chart the biggest debacle and mishandling of a AAA title and franchise arguably ever seen.

The book would start briefly with how the series went and once you get to the decision making process on the ending of part 3 and how that really was the beginning of the end when we get down to it...the book could really write itself but I digress. ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I see two decent options for more Uncharted games. The easiest one is a prequel featuring Sully. They've hinted at his past so many times that it can't miss. Set it in North America, Australia, or Eastern Europe and the globetrotting elements can tie to his time in the Navy. Seems easy and it would work well.

The other option is a final hurrah after Uncharted 4 with an ensemble cast. "One final job" that's so ridiculous that they didn't think it could be true. They could have different sections be dedicated to different characters working together. I'm still in favor of keeping Drake and Elena retired, but that could at least be feasible. Make them only a small part of things so it doesn't feel like the video game equivalent of Godfather 3.

Making a full sequel with Sam or their daughter is lazy. Sam's writing is just like Nathan only with a little more edge. That's a cop out. The daughter might as well just be Lara Croft based on what we saw from one single chapter.

A one shot with a younger Sully could be a fun game. I'm usually not a real big fan of prequels but he's a great character and it would be easy to do.

Ensemble absurdity could be good if executed properly...but there's no way to say "equivalent to Godfather 3" and actually have it mean something good for any series. ;)

Drake family is done. Agree with you on that except I think Sam is potential fodder. I really liked how he was used with Nadine and Chloe. They were a fun tandem. Watching the two ladies evolve as characters through this sold me on some more games with them as well. The only pitfall there would be to not accidentally become an outright Tomb Raider clone but I didn't feel like Lost Legacy was a just another Tomb Raider game.

The larger concept of what Uncharted games are supposed to be certainly can continue.

Blast from the past, I decided to replay Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy over the last two weeks. While still graphically stunning, Uncharted 4 doesn't make for a very good replay. Even 2 years later. The long plot and jumping sequences just don't hold up once you've already seen and done them. In the case of Uncharted 4, they make up about 60-70% of the game. The last sections of the game mirror the previous games, but you only have a couple shootouts prior to reaching Libertalia. I have a feeling that the game we got is a frankenstein of the original and 2nd vision the devs had for the game. Luckily the story is well told and executed. I love the way things concluded and the story's great the first time you experience it. However I don't think 4 can hang with the others overall. Yes, even disjointed and quirky-aiming #3.

Lost Legacy is actually a far better game than 4 was IMO. The plot is straightforward and the game never feels tedious or oddly paced. The puzzles are genuinely tough, too. It's only about 1/2 as long, but I had a blast replaying it. The graphical upgrades it got are also pretty amazing. It might be the best looking game I've ever seen that isn't just a bunch of interactive cutscenes.

With the PS5 coming next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Uncharted sequel or prequel following soon after. I still think the daughter and Sam a super super lazy approach, but I stand by a Sully prequel. We still know only tiny bits a pieces about the character and there are still plenty of areas that haven't been explored and would fit nicely with what we do know.

Lost Legacy better than Uncharted 4?!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDCVg21tn81S_ogGY_9_4Mv55IPg4cCbq3zmRS2UGA-_cpHnkz.jpg

It's hard for me to decide.. I loved them both even despite 4 being a bit longer than it probably should have been. Uncharted games are like ice cream to me; I know I should have stopped a while ago, but it's so great that I can't get enough of it. Any excuse to see some of the crazy detailed environments they put throughout the game and add more to the lore of the characters keeps me pretty engaged despite some of the repetitive game play elements. I definitely liked the additional characters and story 4 had over LL, but LL definitely had the better gameplay with its puzzles and better environments (and weapons) for combat.

The only reservation I have with ND games going forward now are that it seems they're getting a bit too "woke"; making Nate and Elena's kid a girl (fine for a conclusion, but kind of hampers the idea of a real Nate successor in future games), Lost legacy's leads being women (no complaint there, just more evidence, though there's Sam at least towards the end), TLOU 2's big trailer a couple years ago focusing on Ellie being gay, Sony's TLOU 2 E3 interview being hosted by that gay women who had almost no affiliation, knowledge, or interest in the game (or games in general - chosen over another interviewer that supposedly already had the gig and was much more relevant), and ND pushing more of the narrative on Twitter like Chloe and Nadine being gay together (Christmas card of them blushing at each other) despite absolutely no evidence of that in the games.

I didn't think much of all of that at the time all this came out, but if you put it all together, it definitely seems like ND has been infiltrated by some super-progressive liberals to push their own narrative. I'll reserve further judgement for their future games, but I just hope they don't keep letting this interfere with the amazing characters and stories they've crafted so far. To be clear though, ND is still my favorite developer so far, I just hate when these things feel forced on characters and games where it seems to distract more than support the game's narrative.

I don't really notice or care about any social agenda they may or may not be pushing. I don't really see how having a daughter really affects anything other than obvious Tomb Raider comparisons. I'm hopeful they won't make any more pure sequels. At least other than the concept of "one last job" the reunites all of the original cast just after the conclusion of 4. I don't necessarily want that, but I'd be open to it.

With Uncharted 4, I just don't care for the pacing. There are just too many long sections that border on a Quantic Dream game. The entire first hour of the game is like that. Outside of Scotland's graveyard and escape, the first 1/2 of the game is mostly a movie game with jumping. Then all of a sudden you get to Libertalia and it's one shootout after another. After reading about the original plot concept, I kinda wonder if the original first 1/2 of the game was closer to the finale. With little to no Sam in the last few chapters, they probably just used what was originally developed. At least mostly.

I loved the game on the first pass, but I found replaying it to be a chore. The jumping stuff just doesn't cut it for replayability and with hours of nothing but jumping, it gets tiresome. The shootouts and smaller puzzles break that up and 4 just didn't have enough of either.

I loved the uncharted serise but just couldn't get into Lost Legacy. Guess I am just a sexist pig.

I loved the uncharted serise but just couldn't get into Lost Legacy. Guess I am just a sexist pig.

Lol, I liked LL a lot and thought it was well worth the $40 it was new. But I guess we can't point out ND's trends without being labeled as such (as Colonel Sanders insinuated in his deleted troll post).

hopefully a new Uncharted is announced to launch with the PS5...

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't. It's one of their bigger exclusive franchises and MS is coming in hot this time. While nowhere near as nice as a new game, I'd be interested in a second Nathan Drake Collection with 4, Lost Legacy, and Golden Abyss remasters running at 60fps.

Back