Uncharted 4 FPS

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I played through Uncharted 4 on the vanilla PS4 on my 104" 1080p projector and man, for a console I can't believe how good it looked. I just got a PS4 Pro dirt cheap on Craigslist. I Googled and found out that Uncharted 4 on the Pro renders at 1440p, 30 fps. I understand that for some games, they can't do 60fps because the CPU isn't up to the task. My question is, why wouldn't they give an option for a higher FPS, say 40-45, and still render at 1080p? I would much rather play at a higher framerate, even 40, than render at 1440p and downscale.

Consoles pretty much only have 2 target frame rates to choose from: 30 or 60 FPS. This is due to TV's typically only having 60 Hz displays, so trying to play a game at any other increment from 30/60 Hz results in uneven frame pacing and thus unpleasant stuttering during gameplay. If you've tried playing any games that do allow you to play at an unlocked frame rate, you'd see that it's generally worse to play at (even with 40-50 FPS) than if it were locked at solid 30 FPS with good frame pacing. Some games I've played that allow you to toggle between these modes on the Pro are Nioh and Monster Hunter World.

I do wish more games would give a 1080p/60Hz option on the Pro console as well (which admittedly there are a handful of games that do just that), but in the case of Uncharted 4, I didn't feel it really needed a 60 FPS option given how perfectly stable its performance was throughout the game and with how well its motion blur was implemented. Same story with Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Last edited:
On my first pass through Uncharted 4 it hurt my eyes. 30fps combined with excessive motion blur is irksome IMO. Luckily they patched in the ability to kill off the motion blur later. That definitely helps.
I've always been in the camp that favors fps over resolution. Give me upscaled 900p/60 vs. 4K/30 any day. For that matter, how about just giving us a choice? I'm not asking for a dozen options - just 2 options like Nioh and Gears do. Make one for 60fps and one for higher resolutions.

On my first pass through Uncharted 4 it hurt my eyes. 30fps combined with excessive motion blur is irksome IMO. Luckily they patched in the ability to kill off the motion blur later. That definitely helps.
I've always been in the camp that favors fps over resolution. Give me upscaled 900p/60 vs. 4K/30 any day. For that matter, how about just giving us a choice? I'm not asking for a dozen options - just 2 options like Nioh and Gears do. Make one for 60fps and one for higher resolutions.
As already mentioned over and over when this is brought up, the PS4 does not have the CPU power to maintain 60 FPS in some games so the resolution is irrelevant.

As already mentioned over and over when this is brought up, the PS4 does not have the CPU power to maintain 60 FPS in some games so the resolution is irrelevant.

Lower the details until it's possible. The multiplayer version of Uncharted 4 DOES run at 60fps (even on the stock PS4) so clearly it isn't an engine limitation.

Back