Uncharted 2

realitycheck

Weaksauce
OK, so I'm in the middle of Uncharted 2 and I'm completely blown away by the graphics.

It's litterally jaw dropping, and I must say, IMO, Crysis is the only thing comparable.

So my question is, how did they pull this off with the hardware that is in the PS3? And if it's capable of that, why don't more console games look as good, and why don't PC games look almost life like, since the graphics cards for PC's are waaaaaay newer and better?

Please explain this to a simpleton like myself. :D

OK, so I'm in the middle of Uncharted 2 and I'm completely blown away by the graphics.

It's litterally jaw dropping, and I must say, IMO, Crysis is the only thing comparable.

So my question is, how did they pull this off with the hardware that is in the PS3? And if it's capable of that, why don't more console games look as good, and why don't PC games look almost life like, since the graphics cards for PC's are waaaaaay newer and better?

It really isn't the graphics, it is the art design that makes this game look so damn nice. Give credit where credit is due, the artists behind the magic.

I gotta agree, seeing a game like this makes me wonder why other developers don't create visually pleasing games that would look as good as this.

I gotta agree, seeing a game like this makes me wonder why other developers don't create visually pleasing games that would look as good as this.

That's because IMO only a select few developers have what it takes to make a great game.

It really isn't the graphics, it is the art design that makes this game look so damn nice. Give credit where credit is due, the artists behind the magic.

this man speaks the truth. the art design in U2 is fantastic. i particularly liked the train sequence and the first few city areas (ch. 5 - 8 ?).

Yup. It's not like uncharted 2 has more polygons, higher res textures, and more intensive lighting effects or anything. It's just that the designers did a good job of putting everything together in an aesthetically pleasing way.

In my opinion though... they simply saturated everything with a lot of colors. Kind of obnoxious at times.

I just finished Uncharted: Drake's Fortune last night and bought Uncharted 2 this evening. Can't wait to pop it in. Well, actually I can since a Leafs game is on in 8 minutes and I can't miss any chance to watch them lose. :D

It's shameful that it took me until now to actually play and finish the first one.

I just rented it recently for five days, lasted two however, it was one of the best experiences in gaming I had this year. I played just after playing the latest Tomb Raider. Crystal Dynamics could take a few lessons from Naughty Dog and how they use their camera. I really enjoyed both games, even though they are vastly different. The game is beautiful, it's a shame there is no PC version I would have loved to crank u p the AA.

I finally got around to finishing the first one today. I bought Uncharted 2 when it came out but I decided to wait until I could borrow it from my friend who lives down south. I must say that I really enjoyed it (besides the really dumb, out of place twist) and I cannot wait to play the second. Those graphics do, indeed, look amazing!

I ran into an interesting article recently about the PS3. http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/05/ps3-smoothing-beyond-that-of-high-end-pc-graphics-card/

Worth a read. Basically it talks about how the PS3 can do much higher Anti-aliasing than current high-end PC's because of it's Cell processor.

It's nice when companies actually manage to use the Cell processor to it's full potential, but that also means that it's harder to develop for, which may deter companies from making the game in the first place. Also, you get bad ports because of it, like Bayonetta.

So I don't know. It's a double-edged sword, really.

Consoles are a closed system (they all have the same core hardware) and an OS that has very very little overhead. This allows developers to focus on optimising the crap out of their code, even coding "straight to the metal". If they want to, they can pull a lot of extra performance that you wouldn't get in a general coding environment such as Windows. This can mean more work and more dev time, however, which is one of the key reasons that not all console games look and/or run this well.

The other end of the stick is the art direction + actual game assets. Both need to have good synergy to make an attractive looking game. An example of what not to do would be F.E.A.R. That game when it came out was one of the more demanding games, pushing a lot of shaders and graphics tech. But many of the in-game assets were butt ugly. You can put lipstick on a pig, but its only going to look like Miss Piggy, not the girl next door.

Maybe it also has to do with this being the 2nd game, Uncharted 1 looked great, but gave NaughtyDog something to work with and improve.

Back