Uncharted 2?

I guess I should finish Uncharted. I have Uncharted 2 coming in the mail tomorrow. :eek:

Beat it yesterday. Game was amazing! I think it will win GOTY for sure. One of the best games of the gen.

I got a hard-lock with Uncharted 2 as well. Mine was (no spoiler) in the large room right before you head into the final area. There's a huge shootout with both kinds of enemies battling one another.
There's a treasure right before the fountain in the middle and when I grabbed it - bam, frozen solid.

Yep, I had it hard lock in that area too, going up (out) the stairs. Seriously freaked me out.

Thirded, same area and original 60GB model. Luckily it finished autosaving successfully right before it happened.

Same here.

Damn, I had it lock in the same spot as I was leaving this area after I killed all the baddies. Guess they'll have to patch this soon. It was the only glitch/freeze I experienced during the whole game though.

I just started my 2nd play through on Hard. I wish I could keep all my tweaks from my normal play through though, it would be a lot funner/easier, hah. It'll still be fun regardless though, my wife is watching me play through it this time around. That commercial where the guys girlfriend thinks the game is a movie is almost believable, my wife is watching it like one, hah. I have all three consoles and a gaming PC, I think this game should be GOTY easily.

Interesting to see everyone with freezing issues. I had Uncharted 2 freeze on me mutliple times, including the time referenced above. 60gb here, and no other game has frozen before, or since.

It's good that it's in that one place, means there's something in the level that causes the freeze, which is much better than a problem that'll strike at any time.

Another plus about that freeze is that it didn't happen until after I cleared that section of enemies, AND it even managed to save the treasure I had just found.
It scared the hell out of me (that isn't an easy or short battle!), but it really didn't impact me at all.

No freezes or issues whatsoever during my second playthrough, with the same save file but on crushing difficulty.

I'm on my second play through now grabbing treasures that I missed and I'm playing a harder difficulty.

Still playing multiplayer on and off.

I am also going through my second play through on Hard mode and if you turn on Donut Drake skin and fast mode it makes the game so hilarious watching a fat version of Drake run around real fast and do all the stunts. Both modes are win and I don't think I will play the game at least without fast mode on for now on.

I find it really funny that average games like borderline spams 15 topics around here where Uncharted 2 the obvious console GOTY for the more mature players have one single giant thread.
Seriously there is no other console title that can possible compete. It´s so incredible well polished it´s virtually impossible finding errors on it without totally misunderstanding the game... Even if you don´´t go crazy about it it should be obvious how well executed it´s even though it´s just a polished Uncharted with a new story and some new characters. Yup borderline fanboy lol

Heck coming from PC I generally get annoyed by the gamepad controls but I have never seen them as good as in here. I wonder if it will get the credit it deserve though. I remembered when getting PS 3 when everyone was Xbox 360 fanboys and they thought it looked rubbish compared to Gears of War or even Mass Effect. Maybe there is to little action and to much story for many to digest? I love nathan and all the side characters though. Anyone except me that think he resembles Mal from Firefly? The captain?

I'd say that Batman can compete with Uncharted as a possible GOTY, although it's the only thing even close.
I completed Uncharted 2 for the 2nd time last night and got all of the treasures and most of the weapon specific awards. I still need to get 200 kills with the gatling gun (it surprisingly sucks), 5 "run over" kills for the shield guys, and 10 straight steel fist kills. If anyone has any tips for those, feel free to post. I can tell you a really easy way to get the 65 consecutive kills award. The final battle before the boss (the scene where people get lock-ups), actually has an unlimited number of soldiers. Just stay at the entrance and pick 'em off from the stairs.
Once I get all those last 3 achievements I'll move on to the two hard difficulties. I can imagine they must be quite a headache. By the end of the game, they're using some kind of artificial damage multiplier. The shotgun guys insta-kill you from a pretty long distance on normal on the final stage.

For the 200 kills, first puchase the GAU weapon from the shop to unlock it and go to Desparate Times, kill only the RPG guy and obtain the weapon from the shop right after that. There are about 25 enemies in all waves here, so you have to do it 8 times or so.

Alternatively, if you know a place with "unlimited" enemies, then you don't need to do the above, just go and use it there.

I tried doing it on the unlimited enemies area and they pretty much lower the boom on you if you try the GAU. You can rack up every other weapon (sans the dart gun) with kills pretty easy there. For some reason when you use the GAU, every single enemy turns their complete focus toward you :p

I finished playing uncharted 1 for the first time the other day.
Yesterday i started up playing uncharted 2.

One thing i noticed is that uncharted 2 does not appear to use the controllers motion sensor, for balancing while walking accross narrow pathways (log bridges etc..), or for any other task so far.

Within the options menu there is some section that mentions sensor throw, and it was set to off.
Even when i turn it on, the motion sensor is still not used as it was in the original uncharted1.

Unfortunately the manual which came with the game offers no info on what this sensor throw option is supposed to do.

Can anyone shed some light on this, are you guys also not able to use the motion controller features of the dualshock 3 controller in this game? ( even though it was present in uncharted 1)?

I would assume based on the name that 'sensor throw' would allow you to throw grenades using motion, but holy cow is it nice that they finally did away with that crap in #2.

You're probably one of very few in the world that's missing the cursed "ability" to balance over logs with the motion controller.

Really, just forget about it. It's just silly.

Heck coming from PC I generally get annoyed by the gamepad controls but I have never seen them as good as in here. I wonder if it will get the credit it deserve though. I remembered when getting PS 3 when everyone was Xbox 360 fanboys and they thought it looked rubbish compared to Gears of War or even Mass Effect. Maybe there is to little action and to much story for many to digest? I love nathan and all the side characters though. Anyone except me that think he resembles Mal from Firefly? The captain?

I didn't think the controls were THAT incredible. While they were very good there were still many occasions where Nate would hang off ledge when going for cover or vice-versa. They were about equal to any other game with good controls (Ratchet, Gears, GoW, etc.)

I preferred Uncharted 1's story more than 2's but I don't see how anyone could say that there wasn't enough action.

It will (and has) get tons of recognition. If it doesn't it's because there wasn't enough Sully.

I think Uncharted 1 had a better plot, too.
#2 was a better game, and the plot does a good job of sending you to lots of different locales, but the whole Cintamani stone thing is a little bit circular...especially as a metaphor.

Plus it has the whole Davinci Code/National Treasure thing going on where people would find this stuff about 15 steps into the puzzle and ruin everything. It's a nitpick, but the first one covered their bases a little better.

As a game, #2's better overall...but the plot was a little hokey.

You're probably one of very few in the world that's missing the cursed "ability" to balance over logs with the motion controller.

I dont remember saying that i enjoyed the motion controller aspects in uncharted 1.

All I was asking is if it was still an option to use the motion controller in uncharted2.
On the back of the box it specifically states that it uses motion controller, however i have yet to find it being used in the game, and the manual included with the game is very low on details.

For the record, i did not like the motion controller use when balancing over logs in uncharted 1. However i did find it useful in adjusting nade toss hight.

As for controls I mean generally the aiming aspect. The crosshair goes where I want it relatively quickly I don´t have to run the aiming in as much as in most other console titles. I didn´t even touch the sensitivity settings which is a first. Heck you can almost even run and shoot at the same time but it´s stretching it :p

I didn´t remember the original having motion sensing but yes I did miss the fact that you could just run on these thin ledges. motion sensing on gamepads you hold with both hands get somewhat limited but balancing they can do just fine in mirrors edge for example. However overall I think it was the right thing to do keeping the plattforming somewhat automated like it´s. Helps with the tempo. It´s seldom you can blame the game if you fall to your death like in Mirrors edge or something ;)

I finished the game now and I am amazed how polished it´s. Normally games have levels that are better then others but here you can three they polished it all to perfection. As for story for me Uncharted was more about the characters then the story. It´s cliches but it´s well executed so who cares. Uncharted 2 being the same. It´s like Indiana Jones movies they aren´t logical but most of them are entertaining at least :)

Maybe there was to many characters in uncharted 2 though. That Schaefer guy I never realized was and wished there would be more dog fighting between chloe and Elena. They split up way to early and Chloe you never got to know really. But I see no reason to complain about the story compared to what kind of story 95 % of the games out there manage to produce. I wouldn´t want even more story either like MGS 4... Again ruining the tempo which they nailed to perfection.

For Uncharted 3 I would like to see a change in pace from action to sneaking. I really like that they incorporated some stealth into Uncharted 2. Hope they go full out for the third. I mean Nathan Drake is not supposed to be a Marcus Phoenix he is supposed to be human yet he still have a death count bigger then Rambos :p.

Also I wonder can you use savegames or something to get it completed on normal? I changed the difficulty level for the last boss battle since I was afraid it would be yet another impossible end boss. However after completing the game I couldn´t load my save games to complete it on normal. Now I played 5 minutes on very easy and thus a lot is still locked :(

Can anyone shed some light on this, are you guys also not able to use the motion controller features of the dualshock 3 controller in this game? ( even though it was present in uncharted 1)?

Enabling it lets you choose the spot your grenade will land on, like Uncharted 1. They removed the balancing thing because it was pointless and forced to show off the Sixaxis.

I'm going to toss in a few nagatives for a change:

This game is really beautiful. Lots of color, Tons of detail with worn exteriors and filled interiors, but It makes the occasional moment of harsh or off lighting seem worse than it really is.

For the things that this new installment brings (climbing + shooting, climbing + grabs, better cover mechanics, and more rounded gun options); I really miss the melee system from the first game, the pluming smokey explosions are gone, and the game is overall easier on hard than Drake's Fortune was. I also miss the sixaxis balancing. I don't feel it was pointless, it actually added tension for running and/or moving across something narrow.

I suggest that everyone play with subtitles on as its a fairly common problem for voices to not activate during cut scenes. I had it happen one time, but it lasted the entire scene which was a longer one. I'd read about the problem on the Blu-ray forums and here above as well, so I knew to start the game with subtitles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen several people around the internet talk about how Drake kills thousands and that its at odds with his character. In regards to that I say this:

What.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune opens with him tossing Elena a gun as Pirates close in around their boat, all the while sporting a just another day in the tomb raiding life attitude.

Everyone that he kills is directly against him or hired to be directly against him. So he's constantly defending himself. Its not like he wants or looks for THIS sort of trouble. Fucking crazy/greedy bastards want to kill him for no good reason other than MORE PRESENTS. But, he's been through it enough that he doesn't need to sit and cry about it.

The amount of people Nathan Kills is inflated by inherent properties of it being a game. Every time you die and restart a section, each re-accomplished kill is counted as a new one. Compared to movies, in games you tend to be with the hero every step of the way to say that you have "gameplay'. Whereas movies can make cuts, have to make cuts, to shorten things up. This is an action game and storyline. So the number one thing present in gameplay is action.

and probably most importantly, who is this character Nathan Drake? Yeah, he's a witty likeable guy and stuff. But we don't know anything about him and that's sort of the point. He's simply the hero, with all the right experience and skills for the premise. He's not a cop, he's not an ex-soldier, he's not a scientist, we don't know of any troubled past or desensitization. All we know is that he's got jokes, hits and misses with the ladies, and can handle a gun no problemo.

Maybe there was to many characters in uncharted 2 though. That Schaefer guy I never realized was

For the importance he played, they spent no time building a relationship with him. When he was taken, the story made it out to be extremely important and the characters expressed great concern, but it felt unjustified based on the players interaction with Schaefer. Unlike most characters in the game, I didn't care about Schaefer.

My biggest gripe is the enemy. From start to finish there was what? 4-5 different types and 90% of the time your fighting the same guys with the grey vest.

Man, people piss me off....but getting them back is worth it.

Join a coop survival game in The Temple with two level 11s (I'm 28). Start playing...they suck. I'm honestly very good myself (when I want to be, I like melee'ing everyone though, which causes me to take lots of damage), but these guys just sucked. Anyways, we started playing, all ended up dying because the guy couldn't figure out that we were both down and he was closer to me....anyways, that was round 4. So, when we spawn, one of them instantly throws a grenade and it kills me. Pissed off, I waited until almost the end of that round...THEN THEY BOTH ALMOST DIED. So, I waited until they were almost beside each other, 2 grenades, took them both out. Finished the round BY MYSELF. Then of course we died in round 5/6 whatever.

Point is, people who play videogames are stupid. I only like cooping with friends.

I just picked this up from a guy on Craigslist. Freaking awesome game so far! The whole presentation of the game so far has me impressed. From graphics and sound and even the dialogue is pretty good... very cinematic like. As of right now I am "in like flynn" , haha.

Gotta be honest, I didn't get the "In like flynn" joke.

Agree that there should have been more varied enemies, but I can't figure out what they'd be that would make sense. They couldn't really throw revolver touting pirates and shuriken throwing ninjas in the mix...

I'd be okay with being able to play other characters in a third installation, get a chance to see the same store from different views. A bit like Mona Sax and Max Payne.

Man, people piss me off....but getting them back is worth it.

Join a coop survival game in The Temple with two level 11s (I'm 28). Start playing...they suck. I'm honestly very good myself (when I want to be, I like melee'ing everyone though, which causes me to take lots of damage), but these guys just sucked. Anyways, we started playing, all ended up dying because the guy couldn't figure out that we were both down and he was closer to me....anyways, that was round 4. So, when we spawn, one of them instantly throws a grenade and it kills me. Pissed off, I waited until almost the end of that round...THEN THEY BOTH ALMOST DIED. So, I waited until they were almost beside each other, 2 grenades, took them both out. Finished the round BY MYSELF. Then of course we died in round 5/6 whatever.

Point is, people who play videogames are stupid. I only like cooping with friends.

sounds like left 4 dead...

The penality for quitting a match is BS and too harsh. I got up to level 22 in the demo before it ended. I spent a few hours playing last night and got to level 10.

This morning I go to play MP and it says since I quit my last match, it's docking me $40,000 and put me back to rank 8 ! :rolleyes:

From now on, I'll unplug my router. I have no problem waiting 30 seconds, but taking away at least an hour of progress is lame.

If they don't want people to quit, they should fix the matchmaking. Too often the game completely stacks the teams. I'm not going to sit there and take 20 minutes of punishment so I can earn $1000.

I played the Lost City level for the first time today. :eek:
Very impressive graphics, the textures and water are some of the best I've seen in a console.

So they finally implemented quitting penalties huh? lol... Well, back when I played it I used to quit all the time if I have to play with a bunch of morons who aren't even trying. I have better use for my time than sitting down to take it in competitive, or watching an idiot who can't comprehend the huge glowing triangle button icon on top of a circle in coop.

Not just that, but what if you're in the middle of a game and have to go for some reason ? You have to finish that 20 minute match just to not get screwed.

But like I said, I'll just unplug my router. I've already tested it. No penalty. ;)

A lot easier to pull the plug on the router, I don't know if the game knows if you power down with the button near the drive. I never do that anyways, because I like to let mine idle on the XMB for at least a few minutes, the fan gets going pretty fast when I'm playing UC2. I guess you could leave it going until the match finished, but if you were stepping out that means your PS3 would be idling away wasting electricity.

I don't have an issue with penalties, but losing 40 grand when I was only level 10 was harsh for disconnecting in a stacked up match where the other team had 4 treasure captures within 3 minutes and then held the last treasure and raping for XP.

Back