UNC: This folder is empty. IP: Works fine.

je55e

n00b
I have a Windows 2008 R2 server that I just changed over to a domain controller. Everything was working perfectly before that. I recently changed it to a domain controller so I could use WDS.

On my windows 8 and 7 machines if I browse to \\server I get prompted for a user name and password (as expected)

After entering my username/password and double clicking on a share I see "This folder is empty." I've tried recreating the shares, checking the permissions, creating new shares... all to no avail.

However... If I browse to \\192.168.1.200 (the server IP) instead on the UNC and use the same user/pass and clicking on a share all my files are there.

I'm honestly baffled. Anyone ever seen this before?

I don't think it's my workstations as nothing as changed on them. I'm pretty sure it's my server, but I'm really confused as to why.

My workstations aren't part of the domain and I'd prefer if they weren't. I really just turned the server into a domain controller because WDS only plays nice with domain controllers :)

by chance, when you ping the servername, does it return that IP address of 192.168.1.200?

Yep. Pinging the server shows the correct IP address.

I can actually see the individual shares, just they're all empty when I double click on them.

Also, after re-reading your post, you didn't mention firewall settings. Have you tried disabling the firewall and then testing?

I haven't, but my train of thought was: if it works with the IP I don't see what the firewall would be blocking if I used the UNC.

However, I will also give that a try when I get back home.

Are you logging in with local, or domain credentials? (eg - jsmith, jsmith@domain, or domain\jsmith)? Do you have cached or saved credentials for the server?

Are the permissions for local or domain accounts?

All I can think is that you may be logging in to the named shared with different credentials than the direct IP connection.

Are your clients (Windows 7 and 8) joined to the domain and are you logged in as an Active Directory User. I ask this because browsing to a server on the same domain should try to use the currently logged in users credentials.

Back