Unbending the HR-03 plus

Kaos_Drem

Gawd
Ok here is the scoop.

I want to upgrade to an 8800 card in the near future but i don't want to run the stock cooler as it has been said to be not very capable under intense load and low airflow in a case.

So i want to run an HR-03plus which most will agree is the best air cooling for an 8800 available. Problem is, i have a harddrive card under my videocard that would prevent putting a fan on the hr-03. So what i am wondering, have any of you on the forum here taken it upon yourself to unbend the hr-03 to make the fin part of it vertical and parallel with the chassis. I think this form of mounting would work great if it still worked at all, since it would allow the heatsink to be exposed and be cooled more efficiently.

Any thoughts?

If nobody is going to try it or has already done so i will be undertaking this in the next few weeks.

I assume you mean 'unbending' the 6 heatpipes that connect the block to the sink......

You can't .

Heatpipes wont bend for a couple reasons ;

1. Heatpipes are designed with a specific internal volume.If you rebend it , you will change this and alter the efficiency of the heatpipe.

2. Most commercial heatpipes use a 'ceramic' material inside to provide 'wicking' when the heatpipes are not vertical . Rebending the heatpipe will ruin this.

-----------

That being said , you *might* be able to buy similar , straight heatpipes that you could switch over to.....

What slot is your harddrive card under? The PCIEX1_2 or one of the PCI slot? Do you have any other card(s) in the PCI slot? SInce you have the same motherboard as I do, by using type 2 setup(which is the only option you have since your tunic tower won't let you do a type 1 setting) this will rendered every single PCI slot useless except the bottom PCI slot.

I have the harddrive card in the pci slot under the pcie1x

my full setup of pci cards
ide card in the bottom pci slot, xfi in the next one up, and sata harddrive card in the top pci slot.

i can't really move or remove any of them since i need them all as well.

I have the harddrive card in the pci slot under the pcie1x

my full setup of pci cards
ide card in the bottom pci slot, xfi in the next one up, and sata harddrive card in the top pci slot.

i can't really move or remove any of them since i need them all as well.

Well honestly you're totally out of luck with this heatsink. The other method would be to try using the type 1 setup with a fan but I'm 99% sure it won't fit since you have a huge Tuniq 120 above. I have to sacrifice my Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Music in favor of my TV-Turner card. I'm using my onboard audio at the moment.

Best thing is to wait for the Zalman V1000 and hopefully that will fit.

Also the lian li pc g70b case you have there is probably meant for modding and watercooling. Doesn't look like an effective air cooling case.

Back