Unbalanced CPU Temp

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

I have been playing around with my overclock on my Q6600 (VID 1.325). One thing that has bothered from the beginning has been a temp difference of 7°C between cores 0 &1 and 2 & 3. This is at full load. At idle, I have seen as much as 10°C difference between the cores. Cores 0&1 have run hotter than 2&3. My original Q6600 had a lower VID and would stay within 3 degrees idle or load. Didn't matter. It appeared to be a much tighter CPU.

So far I have checked the cooler position and seating. The paste has been upgraded to AC MX-3. The only thing I can think of is a not so flat CPU IHS. I am on the fence on whether or not to lap it. Before I go down that road, I am looking for advice on which way to go.

Thanks!

That is normal for Intel multi-core chips. As for how much of a variation, it seems to be random for the most part. I think part of it is how Windows manages multiple threads, where certain cores are given more of a workload than the others.

yup like sick said its very common with the core 2's since they are basicly 2 dual core chips in a single processor so they will vary anywhere from 1-2C to up to 10C.. the idle temp you can pretty much ignore because its a 99% bet that they are wrong anyways(another core 2 fluke)..

Yep it's common for Intel. You're not the only one with those differences and it looks like your pair of cores have different TJMax values.
Nothing to worry just keep some reasonable temps and happy OC-ing. :)

Hi,

Sounds like a plan so far. Most of my google searches came back with "just lap the CPU" to fix the problem. I am trying not to go that route due to the fact I actually needed to RMA my last Q6600.

Here's the temps that my c2q 6600 have at aroud idle
F:

C:

I've personally found that a better CPU bracket from newegg that helped bring the temps a little closer together. it also had the side effect of not bending the board like the stock cooler's plastic pinchers do.

Unless your temperatures are excessively high, there is nothing to be concerned about. Temperature variations between cores are normal and don't cause any problems.

Sorry for the ultra-n00bish question, but what is TJMax? What does it stand for? I tried a google search, but didn't find anything useful.

thanx

x509
Tjmax is the temperature at which Intel CPUs will trigger their thermal protection mechanisms. The digital temperature sensors built into each core of a modern Intel CPU are calibrated to be accurate at Tjmax, and actually report temperatures in the form of the distance to Tjmax. Therefore, in order to find the actual temperature, we need to know the value of Tjmax, and then we can subtract the distance from it to find (roughly) the actual temperature.

Back