I just built a new machine, Athlon64 3500+, 1G ram, Abit AN8-ultra, BFG 6600GTOC graphics. I love it so far, except when it comes to watching videos. Every time I play a video, even DVDs in PowerDVD, the CPU goes to 100% and even at that the video is jumpy and drops frames or gets out of sync with the audio. This machine ought to be able to decode and play any video I can throw at it by my estimate. My previous machine was a laptop with a mobile athlon64 3200+, 512M ram, and a radeon mobility 9600, and it could handle the exact same decoding tasks with low (<30%) CPU usage without even throttling the CPU above 800Mhz (it can go to 2Ghz). Even an H.264 trailer I rendered on my laptop was fairly smooth, my new machine can only get about 2 frames decoded each second.
Clearly my Nvidia card isn't being used to accelerate the video decoding operation and I'm curious as to why? I have the latest (77.77) Nvidia drivers installed, the OS is WinXPproSP2, so it has the latest version of DirectX installed. What else do I need to do to make sure my video decoding gets hardware accelerated? I don't remember having to do anything on my laptop. Is there some type of software I can use to monitor when the GPU is being used to accelerate decoding, or is the CPU load the best indicator? Could someone help me?
Clearly my Nvidia card isn't being used to accelerate the video decoding operation and I'm curious as to why? I have the latest (77.77) Nvidia drivers installed, the OS is WinXPproSP2, so it has the latest version of DirectX installed. What else do I need to do to make sure my video decoding gets hardware accelerated? I don't remember having to do anything on my laptop. Is there some type of software I can use to monitor when the GPU is being used to accelerate decoding, or is the CPU load the best indicator? Could someone help me?