Unable to turn off 3008WFP if used with DP and 6950

brumwald

Gawd
Hi

I've recently bought a new graphic card (AMD 6950), and one specific reason for why I chosed that card was because I wanted to drive my three monitors with one graphic card. This forces me to use displayport for one display and since the 3008WFP has a displayport input I thought I was all set.

And sure, it works great, it's just one major annoyance. When I leave my computer for longer periods of time I have always turned them off, now with the monitor using displayport this doesn't work as expected. When I turn off the 3008WFP windows recognizes this as if someone pulled the cable. And the issue with that is that it then rearranges all windows to fit on the two remaining displays. And that is a huge problem for me, I usually have a lot of windows open and every time something rearranges them I die a little inside.

So, my solution have been to manually alter the timer after which windows puts my displays to sleep (since this won't trigger the problem). This doesn't work that well though. Sometimes it just doesn't work (the monitors never goes to sleep) and sometimes the monitors are awakened after some time. I don't sleep well knowing that the monitors could be going on and off like christmas lights all night/day.

Unfortunately, switching to another input with no signal also results in windows rearranging everything.

I don't know what to blame, the monitor or the graphic card (or it's driver), but regardless of who's to blame I'd like to be able to turn off (or standby) my monitors reliably.

Maybe there is something that could be done to the displayport cable to fool the graphic card to never disconnect it. Or force windows never to rearrange windows or something.

Any ideas?

I've been thinking of writing software to record the position and size of all windows and so that one can restore it later, this mainly because the same issue arises when starting full-screen applications (such as games) that doesn't run in the native resolution (everytime I install a game I have to google for command-line options to force it to run in native resolution (or windowed mode) to (hopefully) avoid it). But I don't know how much of an effort it would require to write such an app, sure is tempted to give it a try though.

Back