Unable to surf web w/laptop yet can ping

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
Have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129. Helping this guy remotely. It's been a pain.

We seemed to have everything up and going but now find out that we cannot surf the web. Neither IE or Firefox will surf. I can ping with no problems. If this buddy of mine hooks up his HP laptop he can surf just fine. The Cisco DSL modem is assigning him another IP address to his HP. He has also taken the Toshiba to another site and plugged in and not able to surf either.

This "seems" to have happened after doing the SP2 update via the web. We had some trouble getting this completed as the update hung the other day so we stopped the process and uninstalled. A day later did the update and it looked as though it was going to hang but then finished the job. The Toshiba seems to be running fine but we cannot get onto the web and surf with a browser.

Any ideas?

are you pinging by Name or IP address? My first stop guess would be a DNS issue. If you have no DNS problems then I would go to firewall etc.

this is after doing a full format and a restore from a CD provided by Toshiba.

Also, I've tried disabling the Windows Firewall and the problem persists. So...I re-enabled it.

Any other computers that can be hooked up to determine if the problem is with the PC or with the internet connection? Can browse via IP?

Try pinging a name, get the IP, then punch the IP in the web browser.

Another option would be to increase the ping size. Since a standard PING is a pretty small packet compared to the size of a web requrest, try increase the ping size to maybe a few KB to see if the ping fails.

Yes...we've hooked up an HP laptop and have surfed the web with no problems at all.

It seems to be with this Toshiba laptop only. We can ping with IP or domain name at the command prompt on the Toshiba with no problems. Not able to surf the web with IE or Firefox. We cannot browse the web using IP addresses or domain names.

Ping is no problem. Cannot surf with a web browser. If we plug in another laptop to the same connection we CAN surf with no problems.

SBMongoos said:
this is after doing a full format and a restore from a CD provided by Toshiba.

Also, I've tried disabling the Windows Firewall and the problem persists. So...I re-enabled it.

I was just about to say, maybe the windows firewall prompted if he would like IE or Firefox to access the internet, and he said deny.
Do you have any programs installed on the computer? Such as a firewall or antivirus? Sometimes they may have application protection which will block programs from using the internet.

A few other things i can think of, is that perhaps his ethernet/wireless card is not configured correctly (although a clean install of windows should fix that...).

Also, some laptops eaither come with their own proprietary power settings, or they use the default in windows. If the toshiba is using its own software, perhaps there is an option to disable wireless LAN and/or wired LAN... I know my acer laptop has both these options. Although you say you can ping things... Can you ping outside of your network, or is it just limited to the local network? Like can you do a ping of yahoo.com?

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

The pinging that I have done is out onto the web. IE: www.yahoo.com, etc. I would then use the IP returned and ping with the IP address.

This laptop does not have any WiFi at all installed on it. Window does have a firewall installed and enabled. I have tried disabling but this has not helped. Norton Anti-Virus 2003 is installed on this laptop. One of those 90 day trials (laptop is about 1 year old).

Try checking the hosts file in winnt/system32/drivers/etc

if there's anything other than localhost there, delete it.

Are you getting the IP address from a router or directly from the ISP? If it's from a router, try plugging directly to the ISP and see if you can browse. Also, try just performing an ipconfig /release and /renew and see if you get any different IP settings (ipconfig /all).

If all else fails, I'd say wipe the drive clean and try another recovery from the CD.

It's directly from the Cisco unit. I've tried the ipconfig /release - /renew already.

Interesting. It seems I've finally got IE uninstalled. I rebooted and now I'm able to cruise the web with Firefox. Maybe I can get IE reinstalled.

hmmm...apparently spoke to soon. Suddenly I cannot surf with Firefox either. WTF? I'm not covinced IE is completely removed either. I transfer an IE install file to this laptop and tried to run it and Windows says there is a later version already running.

Odd...I can surf with Firefox briefly after a reboot then suddenly, after a few minutes, I cannot surf anymore.

maybe try to run that WinSock Repair? (should be able to find it on MS).

Not sure where to find a Winsock Repair Tool as I'm having no luck.

Have scanned for viruses and found nothing at this point.

Grrr...

There's not that big of a Hijack log file. Didn't find anything that really stuck out but there are some things "I" find odd.

What is:

moose.exe
intern3t.exe
PCANotify.dll
OOTHotkey.exe (seems to be from Toshiba and related to hotkeys so I reinstated it)

grr..

Did you try the winsockxp fix posted above? I've seen that fix problems like you're having. It's strange though that it's happening after a reinstall. I usually only have to use that program if the computer has been infected with spyware.

Well...I'm doing this remotely with PC Anwhere for a buddy in another state.

I'm concerned that SP2, when installed, may have corrupted something. The update, via the web, didn't go correctly the first time and hung. We had to uninstall it through Add/Remove. Once that finished we went back and updated to SP2 and it seemed to go okay.

The friend of mine will call me in the a.m., 4/13. Once I ran that Winsock Fix it I could it was refreshing the IP address and I was kicked off of my connection. I haven't been able to get reconnected since. My friend isn't available to see what's up as he not home at this point. We'll see what's on the screen in the a.m. and hope we can get this fixed.

Maybe try directing him to the network install of sp2 and have him burn it to a cd if possible. Then, have him try reinstalling sp2 from the cd.

Back