"Unable to save data..." Please help!

tim8604

n00b
Did you back up your registry? ;-) Let me guess... no. That answers everyone's problems.

If not, go undo it, if you can.

Edit: Wait, you pretty much can't do much, eh? WXP got corrupted, I think. :eek:

-J.

Oh man, what would I do if I were you...?

Yeah, your hard drive is still ok-- put that hard drive in your other PC and back it up and then format. :) Just that a registry change killed the stability...

-J.

one problem, it's 2 hard drives striped on raid :p

I am fairly knowledgeable about computers, but I know jack about raid.. Could I just stick them both in another computer or would it need to have raid on the mobo. If so, I have an extra hd that I could try installing windows to on my computer (using my current mobo), then put the two hd's in?

If anyone knows anything about raid, please help!

EDIT, but here is a little bit of good news. After tooling around with microsofts command line recovery tool that you get when you put the cd in, I managed to use chkdsk to somewhat repair my c drive ( i think ). Before, I couldn't even run a dir command on it. Now I can, and I can see some of my files. My windows directory is gone, along with most of my other directories, but some stuff is left.

Oh man, I would've said use the CD to do /fixboot and etc cmds on ur c: drive but I've said it plenty on other posts, I didn't want to repeat. Hehe. But hopefully yeah, you do have a chance in backing it up, or I would suggest you to re-install Windows WITHOUT deleting the partition, just re-install it on top (it'll replace the files automatically). All your other stuff would be left intact (well, hopefully anyway).

RAID-- you need to have a raid onboard or PCI RAID card on another computer, have it RAID'ed on a RAID connector. Boot up from your main hard drive (not the raid hd's) and let it read all the info on the raid hd's.

-J.

tim8604 said:
Could I just stick them both in another computer or would it need to have raid on the mobo. .

not only RAID, but the same RAID controller as well

Id recommend a fresh install to another HDD and then recovery of the data from there with a direct scan recovery tool (File Scavenger would be my 1st choice)

considering whatever you did made directories in the install disappear

which tweak did you do?
and what did you do in the recovery console?

The only thing I can think of is that the ntfs tweak messed something up. I didn't have one of the keys it said to change, so I just added it. I did dskchk in the recovery console a few times, then it started working. And now I can get into the last known configuration and it booted okay :). Thanks for all the help.

Back