unable to run tracert

Kind of a strange deal on my main home pc. It's a fairly new amd rig with nothing running except NOD32. When I tried to run tracert from a command prompt I get a hardware failure message, then in the lower right corner it shows my network connection is disconnected, then after a minute or so the computer re-aquires an IP address and everything is fine.
I disabled windows firewall and the same thing occurs.
Ping wouldn't work at first until I disabled windows firewall, but it works fine now, but for some reason tracert is a problem.
Maybe a mobo driver issue?

4600+ X2, 2 gig Corsair memory, Asus A8N-E, Coolermaster Centurion 5, Enermax 485w Noisetaker, Seagate Barracuda 160 sata , Samsung dvd rw, Creative X-FI Xtreme , Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1, EVGA 7900GT@550mhz, Dell 2405 fpw

Could be drivers, a bad cable, a loose connection. Try the physical stuff first and then work up from there. Once you verify the connection is solid, try to ping 127.0.0.1, then try to ping the IP address, then the IP address of your default gateway, then an IP address beyond your network (i.e. DNS server). If all that checks out try the traceroute again. From command prompt and post what happens.

Just as a precaution...what does a netstat -a show you?
Does it seem to be a static list all the time?

Back