Unable to open Excel/Word/PowerPoint 2013 files from network share

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

In our VDI environment we have something like \\server-personas1.domain.local\Profiles\ and \\server-personas1.domain.local\AppData\. In both of these folders exists folders by the name of the user. For example, \\server-personas1.domain.local\Profiles\Cerulean and \\server-personas1.domain.local\AppData\Cerulean exist. Basically, this is C:\Users\Cerulean split out into two; AppData literally just has AppData from C:\Users\Cerulean\AppData located at \\server-personas1.domain.local\AppData\Cerulean\AppData; Profiles has all the folders Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Favorites, etc located inside the \\server-personas1.domain.local\Profiles\Cerulean\ folder. We have our permissions set correctly (or so we think). In Active Directory, all user accounts have under the Profile tab the Profile path field set to \\server-personas1.domain.local\Profiles\usernameHere -- this is done automatically by the VMware software or whatever it is that does this.

When a user opens an Excel, Word, or PowerPoint 2013 file from the network share (or even an attachment from Outlook) they receive this error message:
Office2013_NoDiskOrMemoryError.png

If the user copy and pastes the file to their VDI desktop, they can open it no problem.

I encounter the same problem even with Domain Admin and Enterprise Admin memberships on my credentials under a VDI.

EDIT: Stuff I have tried
  • There is no option to "Unblock" file (link)
  • (link1)
    • regedit --> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders --> the REG_EXPAND_SZ entry 'Cache' was set to its default of %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files (according to 'Effective Permissions' in NTFS Security, I have Full Control as well as full Ownership)
    • I have tried C:\Windows\Temp as the article suggestions, but it did not change anything
    • I tried setting this to \\server-personas1.domain.local\AppData\Cerulean\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files -- this made the error message go away, BUT I now receive this message
      Office2013_SorryWeCouldntOpenFile.png
      Obviously, not helpful, so I clicked the "Was this information helpful?" and responded with "No" to Microsoft
  • This appears to be for IIS or related to (which is not involved in my scenario), but I tried it anyway; no dice (link)
  • If I open Excel 2013, type in Test12326983486923hfu into the first cell (doesn't matter what I type), File --> Save As --> Browse --> save it to network location where I have a file I am trying to open for diagnostic purposes but can't (because I receive the error about diskspace/memory being out)... I close Excel, and I can open the file from scratch by double clicking on it from its location. But, if I right click --> New --> Microsoft Excel Worksheet, and then try to open this I receive the out of memory/diskspace error. Interesting, eh?

EDIT2: OK, I found a solution.

File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center Settings... --> Protected View --> Uncheck Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet and uncheck Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments --> OK --> OK.

You have to do that to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and probably Publisher and Access too. This will get passed the "out of memory/diskspace" error screenshot I provided.

But this is weird, because if I right click --> new --> Excel, I get the "out of memory/diskspace" error. If I open Excel --> new workbook --> type random whatever --> File --> Save As --> Browse --> save to same location as where i did the right click new Excel --> exit/shutdown Excel program... I can go to the location and open it no problem.

Last edited:
Back