Unable to fill PDF forms linked in dropdown list

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
First, let me say that my knowledge of HTML doesn't extend much further than being able to code a link or an image.

The problem I am having is that I have created a dropdown list that links to PDF forms. Everything works except that once the PDF form loads in the browser, you can't type in any of the 'Fillable' fields, the form just appears almost as an image. If I save the form to my desktop (right click, save as...it identifies as a .pdf as well), then it works as expected and I'm able to fill the fields. I pulled these forms off our webhosted site where they could be edited in the browser so I know the forms can do it, I just have the code wrong or something. I'm just using basic coding:

<select onchange="window.open(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value)">
<option value="">Dropdown Title</option>
<option value="path to file.pdf">File 1</option>
<option value="path to file.pdf">File 2</option>
<option value="path to file.pdf">File 3</option>
</select>

Unrelated, if the user clicks the top option value named Dropdown Title, they're taken to a blank page, I'd rather nothing happen when that's chosen but it's not as big a deal as being able to edit fillable PDFs inside the browser.

Also, don't know if this is related or not, but I am doing this inside of Spiceworks Help Desk portal (Manage Content>New Content Block>Source button to input HTML). I have a suspicion that its doing something but I don't have the knowledge to really say for sure or not.

Back