Unable to enable Aero - tried everything, no success, absolute blood hate at LogMeIn

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
I have tried going into LogMeIn --> Preferences --> disable mirror driver & video acceleration. disable turning off user wallpaper and visual effects

I have tried disabling the LogMeIn Mirror Driver in Device Manager.

I have tried uninstalling LogMeIn Mirror Driver in Device Manager.

I have tried adding registry keys NoMachineCheck, Blur, and Animations (D-WORD) with a value of 0, with regedit launched via "Run as Administrator"

I have tried 'net stop uxsms' and 'net start uxsms' several times through my entire trial, with cmd launched via "Run as Administrator"

I have verified that the uxsms service is set to Automatic and not Manual or Disabled.

I have tried completely uninstalling LogMeIn and repeating above steps

I have tried completely wiping out AMD from existence, downloading latest drivers, installing latest drivers, and repeating above steps (without LogMeIn installed)

Through all my attempts and trials I would also try switching between "Windows 7" theme (that has Aero enabled) and "Windows Classic" theme

I have also tried going Computer --> Properties --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced --> toggling between "Adjust for best appearance" and "Adjust for best performance"

The Windows Aero Automatic Troubleshooter couldn't detect any issues or problems / nothing to fix it says.

Guys, I am ready to start a nuclear war I am so frustrated. I cannot use Fraps' screen capture capability without Aero. I have an i7-3930K @ 4.2GHz, an HD 6850, 32GB DDR3-1600 RAM, 6TB-usable RAID6 with Enterprise-grade HDDs, and this is BS. :mad:

EDIT: More information (2013/6/28 @ 1256)

I am a rockstar. I get 7.7 overall on Windows Experience Index

Processor = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
Subscore = 7.8

Memory (RAM) = 32.0 GB
Subscore = 7.9

Graphics = AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Subscore = 7.7

Gaming graphics = 17128 MB Total available graphics memory
Subscore = 7.7

Primary hard disk = 54GB Free (119GB Total)
Subscore = 7.9

winsat dwm
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>winsat dwm
Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running: Feature Enumeration ''
> Run Time 00:00:00.00
> Running: WinSAT Direct3D Assessment '-aname DWM -time 10 -fbc 10 -disp off -no
rmalw 12 -width 1280 -height 1024 -winwidth C(1144) -winheight C(915) -rendertot
ex 6 -rtdelta 3 -nolock'
> Assessing Desktop Graphics Performance
> Run Time 00:00:11.39
> Video Memory Throughput 51436.30 MB/s
> Total Run Time 00:00:12.00

C:\Windows\system32>

EDIT2: More information (2013/6/28 @ 1310)

I am using Fraps 3.5.99 (latest version, registered)

I have run sfc /scannow with cmd being "Run as Administrator"; it made some repairs (such as restoring the original Windows 7 mspaint, because I replaced mspaint with the classic version), so I rebooted and tried things again but no success. I am still without Aero

Ran "winsat dwm" with cmd being "Run as Administrator" again:

> Running: WinSAT Direct3D Assessment '-aname DWM -time 10 -fbc 10 -disp off -no
rmalw 12 -width 1280 -height 1024 -winwidth C(1144) -winheight C(915) -rendertot
ex 6 -rtdelta 3 -nolock'
> Run Time 00:00:11.36
> Video Memory Throughput 51615.00 MB/s
> Total Run Time 00:00:12.28

Last edited:
I am a rockstar. I get 7.7 overall on Windows Experience Index

Processor = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
Subscore = 7.8

Memory (RAM) = 32.0 GB
Subscore = 7.9

Graphics = AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Subscore = 7.7

Gaming graphics = 17128 MB Total available graphics memory
Subscore = 7.7

Primary hard disk = 54GB Free (119GB Total)
Subscore = 7.9

winsat dwm

ex 6 -rtdelta 3 -nolock'
> Run Time 00:00:11.39
> Video Memory Throughput 51436.30 MB/s
> Total Run Time 00:00:12.00

Looks like "winsat dwm" failed to run. Have you tried doing "sfc /scannow" from an admin cmd session to verify that you don't have any corrupt system files?

Looks like "winsat dwm" failed to run. Have you tried doing "sfc /scannow" from an admin cmd session to verify that you don't have any corrupt system files?
Yes, it made some repairs --> I rebooted --> reran "winsat dwm"

ex 6 -rtdelta 3 -nolock'
> Run Time 00:00:11.36
> Video Memory Throughput 51615.00 MB/s
> Total Run Time 00:00:12.28

Still without Aero.

That's normal output for 'winsat dwm.' Aero should be enablable now if you choose 'Windows 7' under Aero Themes in the Personalization section of the Control Panel.

That's normal output for 'winsat dwm.' Aero should be enablable now if you choose 'Windows 7' under Aero Themes in the Personalization section of the Control Panel.
It isn't. I switch between Windows Classic then back to Windows 7 and still no Aero.

Under Personalization, select Window Color. Is 'Enable transparency' shown/checked?

Start, 'transparency', select 'Find and fix problems with transparency and other [...]', run the troubleshooter, click 'view additional details' at the end. See which issue you have.

Under Personalization, select Window Color. Is 'Enable transparency' shown/checked?

Start, 'transparency', select 'Find and fix problems with transparency and other [...]', run the troubleshooter, click 'view additional details' at the end. See which issue you have.
There is no "transparency" checkbox/radio/button.

Did you install Windows 7 Home Basic?

Do you have any mirror drivers listed under Display Adapters in the Device Manager?

What's your display's color depth set to?

Did you install Windows 7 Home Basic?

Do you have any mirror drivers listed under Display Adapters in the Device Manager?

What's your display's color depth set to?
I use Windows 7 Professional x64, and this installation has existed on my SSD for 2-3 years now. I have latest Windows Updates.

Only the one for RealVNC, but I know for certain that it isn't the cause of this. The problems started when I installed LogMeIn. Before LogMeIn, I used RealVNC over LAN a lot and never had any problems with Aero showing in the VNC connection; there has been no change in the installation of RealVNC either -- it is the same as it was the day I installed it, and I have not performed any updates to it.

32-bit.

For your pleasure, I have uninstalled RealVNC completely. Still no Aero.

Back